none
Bitlocker error about bootable CD or DVD preventing use of encryption RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I am attempting to use BitLocker on my X61 Tablet ThinkPad but have run across an error message that is preventing me from initializing the BitLocker encryption. The message reads as follows: "Your system is not configured to use BitLocker Drive Encryption. If there is a bootable CD or DVD in your computer, remove it...if the problem persists, contact the computer manufacturer for BIOS upgrade instructions." I have run the BitLocker Drive Preparation Tool which has created its own boot drive (SSmile and that program tells me that all is in order.  Additionally, I have verified that I have a fully updated BIOS.

There is no bootable CD or DVD in the computer but there is what I assume to be Lenovo's Recovery software on a hidden and unalterable drive that appears in Disk Management. I cannot make changes to this drive; it is labeled only as"Healthy" and "EISA Configuration."

Is this recovery drive the culprit that is preventing BitLocker from working? And if so, can it be disabled or BitLocker tricked into functioning while it is still present?

Thanks for your help!

Jay Fox
    Sunday, August 3, 2008 5:57 AM

All replies

• I had this same problem!

Solution, unplug my USB phone cable (to my M9).

Wait for encryption to finish ... :-)

-Steve S.

Friday, January 8, 2016 6:32 PM