discovery/performance counter striped disks RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

i have an issue with some windows 2008 stripped disks. they are discovered with names like \\?\volume{guid} and therefore i see a lot of 10103 events which tell me that the counter is missing. All other disks and mountpoints are discovered correct. what can i do aside from overriding the rules for those disks.

Alex
    Thursday, September 17, 2009 12:25 PM

Answers

• Hi Alex \ Cory \ Marnix (everyone!)

The latest windows mp doesn't discover mount points to get around this issue but as these are already discovered, the latest mp won't resolve the issue here.

If you don't want to monitor these then you can create a group that includes all the mount points and then do an override against the logical disk discovery (enable = false) for the group of disks. Then run from remove-disabledmonitoringobject cmdlet from powershell. This will remove the discovered mount points and hence stop the alerts.

Cheers

Graham

View OpsMgr tips and tricks at http://systemcentersolutions.wordpress.com/
    • Marked as answer by a.schmitt Thursday, October 15, 2009 7:39 AM
    Saturday, October 10, 2009 2:53 PM
  • Another workaround is to disable the collection rules for the particular counters.

Alex
    Thursday, October 15, 2009 7:39 AM

All replies

• One question and one comment:. 

Question: Are you refer to the monitoring of a logical disk that is backed by a stripped set of disks or is this the physical disk monitoring on disks that are in a stripped set of disks?

Comment: If you have not tried it yet, you should start by downloading the latest version of the Server Base OS MP, which was released to the catalog a couple weeks back.

Hope this helps!

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Use of attachments are subject to the terms specified at http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.htm
    • Proposed as answer by Marnix WolfMVP Monday, October 5, 2009 5:44 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by a.schmitt Monday, October 5, 2009 9:29 AM
    Friday, October 2, 2009 2:52 PM
  • Hi,

i'm using 6.0.6667.0 which is the newest version.

About the disks: The rules (and one monitor) are for the logical disk counters. In diskmgmt.msc i see those disks as striped dynamic disks. I'm not 100% sure about the hardware configuration because the server is hosted by a service provider and i don't know the specs.

Alex

Monday, October 5, 2009 9:29 AM
  • Hi Alex \ Cory \ Marnix (everyone!)

The latest windows mp doesn't discover mount points to get around this issue but as these are already discovered, the latest mp won't resolve the issue here.

If you don't want to monitor these then you can create a group that includes all the mount points and then do an override against the logical disk discovery (enable = false) for the group of disks. Then run from remove-disabledmonitoringobject cmdlet from powershell. This will remove the discovered mount points and hence stop the alerts.

Cheers

Graham

View OpsMgr tips and tricks at http://systemcentersolutions.wordpress.com/
    Saturday, October 10, 2009 2:53 PM
  • Another workaround is to disable the collection rules for the particular counters.

Alex
    Thursday, October 15, 2009 7:39 AM