none
Unable to distribute Configuration Manager Client Package to secondary site DP, now primary site DP either. Other packages distribute fine. RRS feed

  • Question

  • SCCM 2012 SP1

    1 Primary Site (VBP) - Distribution Point

    1 Secondary Site (NVP) - Distribution Point

    When I initially installed SCCM I distributed the package to the secondary site and kind of forgot about it while I did some other testing.  In fact, I distributed other packages to the secondary site no problem.  

    When I started getting heavy into pushing clients I noticed that none of the machines in the secondary site's boundary were getting the client. After troubleshooting a bit I went into Software Library > Packages and highlighted the "Configuration Manager Client Package" and noticed it was only at 50% compliance (it had made it to the primary site but not secondary).

    I've tried everything I can think of in that I've redistributed and attempted to validate the package.  I even attempted created a new DP group for the secondary site and trying to distribute to it as well without any luck.  The button is greyed out to remove the distribution point and re-add it as this is a default package too.

    During one of the redistribution attempts I selected the DP group for both my primary and secondary and now the primary site shows it as "In Progress" on the Content Status page.

    Primary site: Content is being redistributed to the distribution point.

    Secondary site: Waiting for content.

    distmgr.log shows only entries for the Primary Site failure so it doesn't even look like it's attempting to distribute to the secondary.

    Failed to start DP health monitoring task for package 'VBP00001'. Error code: -1 SMS_DISTRIBUTION_MANAGER 2/6/2013 1:52:11 PM 376 (0x0178)
    Failed to process package VBP00001 after 29 retries, will retry 71 more times SMS_DISTRIBUTION_MANAGER 2/6/2013 1:52:11 PM 376 (0x0178)
    Wednesday, February 6, 2013 7:03 PM

Answers

  • I ended up removing the Distribution Point role from each site server, then readding it later.  This allowed me to redistribute packages (including the client) without issue.
    • Marked as answer by J.Rekkedal Friday, February 8, 2013 6:50 PM
    Friday, February 8, 2013 6:50 PM

All replies

  • Did you install ConfigMgr 2012 SP1 from scratch, or did you do an upgrade from RTM to SP1?

    Nick Moseley | http://t3chn1ck.wordpress.com

    Wednesday, February 6, 2013 10:59 PM
  • It seems that I have the same issue with my Standalone Primary Site with a SCCM 2012 SP1 on Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 - Complete Installation from the scratch.

    I had the same entries in my distmgr.log as you. 

    I found a smilar article "Redistribute Configuration Manager Client Upgrade Package (XXX00003)" here in the Forums. (Sorry I'm not able to post links here right now.)

    After run the described workaround my distmgr.log looks good now.

    Unfortunately my Task sequence cannot run because the program files for this package cannot be located on a Distribution Point.

    Thursday, February 7, 2013 1:31 PM
  • Thursday, February 7, 2013 1:43 PM
    Moderator
  • That's a cool script, but unforunately it doesn't look like it's resolved my issue as now the primary still shows "Content is being redistributed to the distribution point" and the secondary shows "Waiting for content" after about an hour.

    To answer nickmo this was an upgrade from RTM to SP1 if that helps with anything.

    Thursday, February 7, 2013 3:00 PM
  • Anything else?
    Friday, February 8, 2013 2:31 PM
  • I ended up removing the Distribution Point role from each site server, then readding it later.  This allowed me to redistribute packages (including the client) without issue.
    • Marked as answer by J.Rekkedal Friday, February 8, 2013 6:50 PM
    Friday, February 8, 2013 6:50 PM
  • too late for this post, however for others, the following link may be helpful - the issue sounds similar to what was happening at our site and this resolved it for us.

    http://scexblog.blogspot.com.au/2014/04/configuration-manager-client-upgrade.html

    content below in case links change -------

    Configuration Manager Client Upgrade Package Distribution Failed

    Whenever you setup a new distribution point, the system will automatically distribute 2 packages to the distribution point.
    1. Configuration Manager Client Package
    2. Configuration Manager Client Upgrade Package

    But somehow the Configuration Manager Client Upgrade Package failed to distribute to the distribution point. The upgrade package is hidden, hence unable to redistribute the upgrade package like normal package. Therefore, we have to trick the system to redistribute the packages.

    Trick:
    1. Open an empty notepad and save it as client.acu
    2. Copy the client.acu to the inboxes\hman.box folder at the top-level site
    3. Monitor the hman.log to check whether the Client Upgrade package gets updated

     

    mcse 2000

    Thursday, February 19, 2015 5:44 AM
  • Superb, it worked for me.

    Anil Suthar

    Monday, February 22, 2016 4:35 AM