none
MigrateDataSourceFromDPM Questions RRS feed

• Question

• I'm still in the EVAL phase so what I'm doing isn't critical but it sure isn't reassuring either.

I have about about 840GB of primary disk space on a server to protect, and about 1.9TB of disk space for DPM2010. About 730GB is used for VHDs. I thought the 1.9TB would have been enough for DPM, but it wasn't. So I am in the process of moving the Storage Pool to a 3.7TB array.

I added the second drive to the DPM storage pool, and now the first drive is not listed - even though I didn't (knowingly) delete the first disk.

DPM then proceeded to create Spanned volumes into the new Disk for some of the existing partitions.

I ran the MigrateDatasourceDataFromDPM script as described somewhere.

"./MigrateDatasourceDataFromDPM.ps1 -DPMServerName <servername> -Source $disks[0] -Destination $disks[3]" and got:

Set-ProtectionGroup : Error occurred while migrating data source  System Protection. Check the D

PM administration console for recovery point creation errors corresponding to this data source a

nd follow the appropriate recommended action. If the errors occurred due to insufficient space o

n the recovery point volume, expand the recovery point volume or free up some space on the recov

ery point volume by deleting older recovery points. (ID: 31244)

At C:\Program Files\Microsoft DPM\DPM\bin\MigrateDatasourceDataFromDPM.ps1:108 char:22

+         Set-ProtectionGroup <<<<  $mpg

+ CategoryInfo          : NotSpecified: (:) [Set-ProtectionGroup], DlsException

+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : 31244,Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.UI.Cmdlet.Protecti

onCmdLets.CommitProtectionGroup

Remove-DPMDisk : Disk 1 cannot be removed from the storage pool because it contains storage pool

volumes. (ID: 355)

At C:\Program Files\Microsoft DPM\DPM\bin\MigrateDatasourceDataFromDPM.ps1:110 char:16

+     Remove-DPMDisk <<<<  $Source

+ CategoryInfo          : NotSpecified: (:) [Remove-DPMDisk], InvalidDiskException

+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : 355,Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.UI.Cmdlet.RemoveDPMD

isk

Well the whole point was that I had run out of space on the recovery volume, which didn't exist any more in DPM and it doesn't say which recovery volume anyhow.

Anyway, I ran the command again just for the heck of it, and it started to move partitions. When it was done, I got a command prompt back.

I guess half the partitions still didn't move, but I was surprised any of them did, since they shouldn't have, since they weren't expired yet (that I know of). But then I figured, Oh Great - that part was improved. After all its kind of silly to leave backups on disks you are migrating from. I mean, I'm lucky I could add the extra array to this machine in the first place. In a pinch, one could hang some drives outside the chassis on an emergency basis to get a copy off, but you wouldn't want to leave the machine like that for any length of time. And what if you KNEW your drives or controller, or backplane was flaky and that it was absolutely risky to leave backups there - we should be able to move the whole thing whether DPM or Microsoft wants us to or not.

I tried the same command again (just for the heck of it) and got the following, but only lots and lots of the same...

Set-DatasourceDiskAllocation : You cannot migrate a replica that is not in a valid state. (ID: 3

1221)

At C:\Program Files\Microsoft DPM\DPM\bin\MigrateDatasourceDataFromDPM.ps1:106 char:32

+             set-datasourcediskAllocation <<<<  -Datasource $ds -ProtectionGroup $mpg -MigrateD

atasourceDataFromDPM -DestinationDiskPool $Destination

+ CategoryInfo          : NotSpecified: (:) [Set-DatasourceDiskAllocation], DlsException

+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : 31221,Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.UI.Cmdlet.Protecti

onCmdLets.SetDiskAllocation

A while later, I tried again with the same command, and got the following:

Set-ProtectionGroup : V:\ has recently been migrated. You cannot migrate V:\ again until the rec

overy points on the previous replica volume are available. (ID: 31224)

At C:\Program Files\Microsoft DPM\DPM\bin\MigrateDatasourceDataFromDPM.ps1:108 char:22

+         Set-ProtectionGroup <<<<  $mpg

+ CategoryInfo          : NotSpecified: (:) [Set-ProtectionGroup], DlsException

+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : 31224,Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.UI.Cmdlet.Protecti

onCmdLets.CommitProtectionGroup

Remove-DPMDisk : Disk 1 is not listed in the storage pool. (ID: 354)

In the Management task area, select the Disks tab and click Rescan to refresh all disks that are

owned by DPM.

At C:\Program Files\Microsoft DPM\DPM\bin\MigrateDatasourceDataFromDPM.ps1:110 char:16

+     Remove-DPMDisk <<<<  $Source

+ CategoryInfo          : NotSpecified: (:) [Remove-DPMDisk], InvalidDiskException

+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : 354,Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.UI.Cmdlet.RemoveDPMD

isk

I tried rescanning the disks as suggested - didn't help - and the original drive is still missing from the Storage Pool list in DPM.

In the middle of all this, the the VHDs from one of my VMs automagically became mounted in Disk management, and a little while later, became detached again. Couldn't find anything in the event logs, the VM was running all the time, and the security logs didn't indicate anyone gaining access to the system. Really didn't expect that.

Now there was an error in the tape backup. I only have two LTO-5 test tapes so far - the rest haven't arrived yet. The first had a daily backup on it, the second had maybe about two days worth on it and got full. So I have tape errors logged because the tape backups can't complete. (I believe in stress testing software and doing really dumb things to see how resilient the stuff will be. Believe me, I've got lots more really dumb things to try, even by accident. I was hoping DPM would survive basic idiocy.)

So questions:

1. Why does DPM need sooooo much disk space?

2. Why did my original disk disappear when there were obviously still protected replicas on it?

3. Can these error messages be translated into meaningful English? (If so can I get an explanation of them?)

4. Why, for the exact same command, did I get three completely different sets of errors?

5. What's the story behind the VHDs getting mounted and dismounted?

6. Can I assume the rest of the replicas will eventually migrate over, or is this all toast now? (If its toast, I'll just reset everything - if it isn't, I do want to see the process work at least once.)

7. Will the rest of the partitions on the old disk migrate over on their own, or will I have to run the same or additional commands again?

8. Why isn't this all put into an idiot proof, password protected, GUI wizard or something?

9. Why do existing replicas have to stay put on the old disk until expired?

Sorry for the long post, but what should have been a trivial maintenance task has raised a lot of questions.

Thanks,
    Bob.

Wednesday, April 6, 2011 1:29 AM

Answers

All replies

• closing post.
    Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Saturday, May 28, 2011 9:24 PM
  • BobH2,

Did you ever get answers to your questions or did MS sweep it under the rug? I tried to migrate data off a 1.3TB drive to a 2.3TB drive and it said not enough disk space...WTF?

Friday, October 14, 2016 5:17 PM
  • Hi,

The following blog will help you understand why you may need more space when migrating a disk to another.

Space needed to migrate a disk

Run the script to see how large the destination disk(s) need to be for a migration to succeed.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Monday, October 17, 2016 5:34 PM