none
SBS 2008 R2 DC - Safe Mode not aviable - Netlogon Service not started RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Community,

I have a Problem with a SBS 2008 R2 Premium.

I want to start in Safe Mode because of an Antivirus-Removal Tool.

I started in Safe Mode with and without Network-Support, but on the Logon-Screen the Message:

Es wurde versucht, sich anzumelden, aber der Netzwerkanmeldedienst war nicht gestartet.

(Google-Translate: An attempt was made to logon, but the netlogon service was not started.)

appears and I can't logon. There is also no local Account because of the DC-Role.

I've googled the ____ out of me, without success.

What can I do to regain my Safe Mode-Ability on the SBS 2008 R2 Premium Box?

Kind Regards,

T.Seiler

• Edited by T.Seiler Tuesday, July 6, 2010 8:08 AM
    Monday, July 5, 2010 4:48 PM

Answers

• Damn, thats embarrassing...

Problem solved:

In SafeMode, the suggested User by SBS 2008 was "DOMAIN.LOCAL\<ADMINUSER>".

I've setuped a new Admin-User, just in case, the old one was kinda messed up.

After clicking "Switch User" and using the new User-Data, the ".LOCAL" wasn't automaticaly set and the login proceeds.

After a few moments of reflection I realized the difference and tested it with the old Adminuser, without the ".LOCAL" and it worked!

Sorry for taking your time with such a stupid question. I haven't see the forest for the trees.

Kind Regards,

T.Seiler

• Marked as answer by T.Seiler Tuesday, July 6, 2010 3:45 PM
    Tuesday, July 6, 2010 3:45 PM

All replies

• If your server is infected with a virus, that may be why you cannot boot into Safe Mode. Don't know if the following KB is of any help:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd430086(WS.10).aspx

-Kevin Weilbacher (SBS MVP)
    "The days pass by so quickly now, the nights are seldom long"
    KW Support MVP Blog
    MVP's do NOT work for Microsoft. We give our time freely to support the SBS community!
    Monday, July 5, 2010 5:59 PM
  • do you suspect a virus at this point?  Will it start in normal mode?  What about DSRM?  I ask because there are combinations, usually/sometimes with a lsass.exe heading that will do this.

Also you can use one of several tools to boot the SBS with a cd or a USB key and scan the drives in a non started position which may find what you are trying to kill.

Larry Struckmeyer

-Please post the resolution to your issue so others may benefit.

-Get Your SBS Health Check at www.sbsbpa.com.

Monday, July 5, 2010 6:14 PM
  • Good morning and thanx for your reply!

A virus infection is not the case I think. We just want to switch the AV-Tool.

The SBS 2008 Console works normal, without any issues. I just cant enter the Safe Mode

Tuesday, July 6, 2010 7:02 AM
  • Good Morning and also thanx for your Reply!

like mentioned above, Virus infecten can't seem the point.

The Server starts in normal mode with no issues.

Wen I try to Logon on DSRM the following message appears (seems the same as Safe Mode without Network)

Es sind momentan keine Anmeldeserver zum Verarbeiten der Anmeldeanforderung verfügbar.

(There are currently no logon servers available to...)

I don't know if booting a WinPE would be enough for the Removal Tool (NOD32) since it needs to access the registry, but will give it a try!

Tuesday, July 6, 2010 7:10 AM
  • Damn, thats embarrassing...

Problem solved:

In SafeMode, the suggested User by SBS 2008 was "DOMAIN.LOCAL\<ADMINUSER>".

I've setuped a new Admin-User, just in case, the old one was kinda messed up.

After clicking "Switch User" and using the new User-Data, the ".LOCAL" wasn't automaticaly set and the login proceeds.

After a few moments of reflection I realized the difference and tested it with the old Adminuser, without the ".LOCAL" and it worked!

Sorry for taking your time with such a stupid question. I haven't see the forest for the trees.

Kind Regards,

T.Seiler

• Marked as answer by T.Seiler Tuesday, July 6, 2010 3:45 PM
    Tuesday, July 6, 2010 3:45 PM
  • Switching to "Other User" and logging in without the .local worked for me on an SBS 2011 installation that needed to boot into safe mode to remove a corrupt installation of ESET.  Don't know why you'd call it embarrassing, as I wouldn't have thought of that without stumbling across this post...

Thanks!

Saturday, November 17, 2018 11:41 PM
  • Same here, SBS 2008 SP2, couldn't logon with 2 admin accounts, even no shutdown option, removing the .local helped! tnx, this is indeed not embarrassing but nice research/testing.
    Sunday, April 28, 2019 8:18 AM