EWF Disk Mode RRS feed

• Question

• I need a sanity check before I spend days trying to configure a EWF Disk configuration or a recommendation for another solution.

System Requirements:
    1.  A protected windows boot environment partition such as HORN and EWF together can provide
         a.  System boots in less than 30 seconds.
         b.  Any user changes on the protected partition are not saved (unless a commit changes is performed).
         c.  System will be exposed to 100% lose of power at anytime.
    2.  A second partion that is not write protected 100% of the time
         a.  Partition will hold a database of logfiles that will need to be constantly active.
         b.  Changes to the second partion must be saved at all times.
         c.  Always accessable.

Will a EWF Disk Mode with HORN meet my requirements?  Does anyone know of anohter solution that would be more effective?

Thanks
    Wednesday, October 21, 2009 4:52 PM

Answers

All replies

• llddt6,

These are some pretty tough requirements, but EWF may help you get there.  EWF is not available in Windows Embedded POSReady, but is available through Windows Embedded Standard.  I would suggest that you submit your question to the Windows Embedded Standard Embedded Enabling Features (EEFs) forum for more detail about this specific functionality.

Here is the link to the proper forum for this inquiry:  http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/embeddedwindowseefs/threads

Terry Warwick
    Microsoft
    Thursday, October 22, 2009 1:28 PM
  • Hi Terry,

I appreciate your response.  I am working with an embedded engineer now.  We are discussing the avenues to acheive the requirements.  The link you provided is going to be very helpful over the next few months.

Thank You
    Thursday, October 22, 2009 2:15 PM
  • HORM only works with EWF RAM overlay. Disk overlay doesn'tt support HORM.

-Sean

www.sjjmicro.com / www.seanliming.com, Book Author - XP Embedded Advanced, XPe Supplemental Toolkit, WEPOS / POS for .NET Step-by-Step
    Thursday, October 22, 2009 3:47 PM