none
DPM 2010 Installed on Hyper-V Host on Server 2008 R2 SP1 RRS feed

• Question

• We are having the same problem as the poster at http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/dataprotectionmanager/thread/5aeb6627-41fd-45a1-9e70-e028484c6ae1, which was never resolved.

Essentially, the issue is that with DPM 2010 installed on a Hyper-V host on Server 2008 R2 SP1, when you go to create a protection group that includes Hyper-V protection, you get an error message (ID: 31313) that you need to install the patch from KB975354.

That patch, in this configuration (2008 R2 SP1) will always error-out during the install with "This update is not applicable to your computer".

The blog at http://blogs.technet.com/b/mattmcspirit/archive/2010/03/26/dpm-2010-rc-and-hyper-v-r2-vm-s-on-csv-s-order-of-patches.aspx states that there are two files in the KB975354 download, but there is only one now, known as v2 (which gives the 31313 error).

The patch is supposedly built-in to SP1 anyway.

I can't install the patch, It may already be built-in to SP1, but I still can't create a Hyper-V protection group (Error 31313).  There doesn't seem to be any way forward from here.  Maybe there could be a way to disable the check for the patch if it isn't really necessary?

We are not using a cluster.  This is a simple stand-alone Hyper-V host with DPM installed on it.  There are also no agents to update, since DPM would only be working with data on the host itself.  We have DPM update rollups KB2465832 and KB2250444 installed.

Friday, August 5, 2011 10:47 PM

All replies

• Hi,

The workaround could be to fudge the DB so DPM believes the Windows 2008 R2 hotfix has been applied.

Run the below SQL proc by opening SQL Enterprise Manager 2008 and create a new query.   Put the FQDN of the DPM server in the query where specified.

use dpmdb
    Update tbl_am_installedagent
    Set ServerAttributes = 7
    Where deleted = 0 and serverid in (select Serverid from tbl_am_server where serverName = ‘RELACE_FQDN_HERE’)

After running this proc try creating the PG. Note that this field will be reverted back again by the 30 min refresh job, but should not affect protection for data sources already being protected.

Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Saturday, August 6, 2011 4:23 PM
  • Thank you for the assistance.

Unfortunately, this didn't work.  The query was executed successfully, but the error continues when trying to select Hyper-V.

I verified afterwards that the change had not been reset by anything yet.

I also tried restarting SQL service, which also restarts DPM, and tried to select Hyper-V again.  Same results.

Any other ideas?

Monday, August 8, 2011 3:19 PM
  • Hi,

Sorry - My bad, for hyper-v protection:  Set ServerAttributes = 31

Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Monday, August 8, 2011 5:20 PM
  • Maybe you can explain this, but I went to change this to "31", but found it was already there.  So I tried creating a protection group with Hyper-V and it worked!

Somehow it appears that setting it to "7" (not sure what it was previously) and waiting for the system to change it back caused it to change to "31" and fix the problem.

Monday, August 8, 2011 6:31 PM
  • Hi,

Hmm - sorry, cannot explain that, however I'm glad that it's now working.  8-)

Monday, August 8, 2011 6:40 PM
  • just like to say that the query doesnt work.....

Msg 102, Level 15, State 1, Line 4

Incorrect syntax near ''.

Thursday, September 1, 2011 11:38 AM
  • I know why you cant explain that, you took that query from here  http://blogs.technet.com/b/asiasupp/archive/2011/08/23/error-31313-when-you-are-trying-to-create-a-protection-group-that-includes-hyper-v-protection.aspx (posted by danma_). What you have done is extremely irresponsible, you don't know what's this guy's scenario and you go on giving parameters that you dont even know whats for, this guy could've messed his DPM for this. 
    Thursday, December 22, 2011 7:37 PM
  • Hey Matheus, I don't have any control over other users making blog posts over solutions found in this forum.   I posted the solution on August-6, the blog was created august 23 - go figure.
    Thursday, December 22, 2011 7:50 PM