Outlook 2010 Profile Not Upgrading From Outlook 2007 using App-V RRS feed

• Question

• Can you guys think of anything to help me resolve the following issue?

I'm sequencing Office 2010 per KB983462.  All is well, except that my sequenced installation of Outlook 2010 is not upgrading the profiles of a local installation of Outlook 2007.  I've followed all of the steps in the recipe numerous times over, so I'm confident that my technique is correct. 

Instead of upgrading the existing local Outlook 2007 profile, like a regular installation of Office 2010 would do, my sequenced version of Outlook 2010 prompts to create a new profile.  This process creates a new .OST file, which is not desirable. 

Any help would be appreciated, as this is the last hump I need to conquer before I roll it out.  My users are about to bust down my door for Office 2010 :-\

MCITP, MCTS Vista
    Saturday, October 23, 2010 4:54 PM

Answers

• After struggling a few days with the issue, I found that I did not read the sequencing guide carefully enough.

If you want to upgrade local Outlook 2007 users to virtualized Outlook 2010, then you need to skip Step 2:  Configure the Office 2010 registry setting in the prescriptive guidance.

Step 2 is only if you wish to have coexistence, which we do not. 

Therefore, if you require your Outlook profiles to be upgraded, then you should not incorporate the Windows Messaging Subsystem\Profiles registry key or the Microsoft.OMSAddin registry key during monitoring. 

MCITP Windows 7 MCTS Windows Server 2008
    Wednesday, October 27, 2010 11:51 PM

All replies

• Hello,

Well, what did you do while you were sequencing and post sequencing? Its not really a recipe, but more of a prescriptive guidance....

/Znack
    Saturday, October 23, 2010 8:56 PM
  • Is HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows Messaging Subsystem or %APPDATA%\Microsoft\Outlook captured in the sequence?

If these locations are virtualised, Outlook 2010 won't see the existing local version.

You may have to avoid running any of the Office applications (or add exclusions for %APPDATA%\Microsoft or HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office) during sequencing to get the virtualised Office to upgrade from an installed version.

Sunday, October 24, 2010 9:27 AM
  • Znack...

Thanks for staying on top of the App-V forums.  Recipe, prescriptive guidance, my wife's to-do list - they all boil down to the same thing, which is a list of items telling me what to do without providing much reason or explanation for why such actions need to be taken. 

I'm following the prescriptive guidance very carefully.  I'm incorporating the proxies and run a batch file to make all the suggested registry changes immediately after installing Office.  I'm trying to capture all changes without stopping the monitoring process at any time.  Perhaps this could be where I'm going off course?

I'm using App-V 4.6 sequencer 32-bit.  The Windows Messaging Subsystem\Profiles subkey is set to override local key.  In fact this item is greyed, so I couldn't even switch it to merge with local if I tried.  The parent key, Windows Messaging Subsystem is also set to override local key, but I can change to merge with local.  I haven't had any luck either way for the parent key.

I've also created/deleted the key for Microsoft.OMSAddin during monitoring.  The prescriptive guidance doesn't indicate the purpose of this key, so I have no idea whether this key applies to my situation. 

I'm incorporating all proxies normally, as the Windows Control Panel proxy works.  One thing I need to note, though, is that I do see the local Mail control panel applet alongside with the proxy Mail control panel applet in Control Panel.  In a perfect scenario, would the Mail control panel proxy replace the local Mail control panel applet? 

MCITP, MCTS Vista
    Sunday, October 24, 2010 2:33 PM
  • You will need to exclude the HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows Messaging Subsystem registry key completely.

With Outlook virtualised and the Mail Control Panel applet not virtualised, both applications should be seeing the same data when lookng at that key.

Are you removing the earlier version of Outlook or Office before deploying the virtualised Outlook/Office 2010 package?

Sunday, October 24, 2010 2:38 PM
  • Hello,

Since you have the key it would indicate that you didn't follow this step;

Start applications to create primary feature block Note We do not recommend that you start OneNote, Outlook, or SharePoint because of the customization settings that are better preserved.
    1. On the Launch Applications page, select and start all desired applications to generate the primary feature block for each application.
    2. Click Next.
    3. After sequencing is complete, click Finish

Actually, its a lot more complicated than that - but not following that step. As said in the note afterwards there are compability issues with running 2007 and 2010 side-by-side and steps to rectify that are stated just below step.

Sunday, October 24, 2010 2:40 PM
  • Aaron,

Appreciate the response.  By default, my sequencer has an exclusion for %CSIDL_LOCAL_APPDATA%.  So I'm assuming that this setting takes care of the nested directories as well.  I've verified through the Files and VFS tabs, that %APPDATA%\Microsoft\Outlook does not show up in the list of captured items.

I'll explicitly add the exclusions and see what I can come up with. 

Thanks again...

MCITP, MCTS Vista
    Sunday, October 24, 2010 2:40 PM
  • I did follow that step by not launching Outlook during any phase of the package creation process. 

The key, Windows Messaging Subsystem\Profiles, exists because the prescriptive guidance advised me to create it during monitoring, which I did. 

I'll keep hammering away at it.  Just was curious if you guys have encountered this issue before.  But, by all means, please let me know if you can think of anything else to try...

Sunday, October 24, 2010 2:51 PM
  • Appreciate the response.  By default, my sequencer has an exclusion for %CSIDL_LOCAL_APPDATA%. 

%CSIDL_LOCAL_APPDATA% should be excluded by default. %CSIDL_APPDATA% is usually included in an App-V package if you have launched the application during sequencing.

Your situation is a bit different in that you are looking to upgrade an existing instance of Office to a virtualised instance. The prescriptive guidance from Microsoft assumes that you don't want to carry over existing Office settings in users's profiles. The simplest way to carry over existing settings will be to exclude the user's profile from the package.

Sunday, October 24, 2010 2:53 PM
  • At the bottom, the prescriptive guidance does mention that Outlook 2010 will upgrade profile and mailbox information from Outlook 2007.  So this leads me to believe that Microsoft does assume you want to carry over existing settings.

CSIDL_LOCAL_APPDATA points to C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook.  This directory contains the Outlook profile information and I do not see any reference to it in the VFS tab after sequencing.  Therefore, per your recommendation above, it seems that existing user settings are already excluded from the package.

CSIDL_APPDATA points to C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Outlook.  This directory contains the Outlook user customization settings.  By default, this directory is not excluded by the App-V sequencer, and therefore not present in the VFS tab either.

The local version of control panel mail applet shows my account configuration as normal.  But the virtualized version of the control panel mail applet does not pick up the existing configuration. 

I need to figure out a way to get the virtualized control panel applet to pick up the existing local settings. 

I've set the Office 14.0 key to merge with local.  I've also verified that the windows messaging subsystem\profiles key is set to override local key.  I've also modified the policies of my osd files to allow for local interaction.  And i've also created/deleted the Microsoft.OMSAddin key during sequencing.  I'm sequencing on 32-bit and can reproduce the issue on 32-bit and 64-bit clients. 

My client log doesn't indicate anything out of the norm, but there are a couple of error messages which state an error occurred while opening the virtual registry.  But I have no idea how to investigate from there. 

This has been a tough one to crack.  I've been dealing with it for about a month now.  The only route I can think to take from here is to keep resequencing office.  But this is starting to drive me insane...

Sunday, October 24, 2010 5:45 PM
  • After struggling a few days with the issue, I found that I did not read the sequencing guide carefully enough.

If you want to upgrade local Outlook 2007 users to virtualized Outlook 2010, then you need to skip Step 2:  Configure the Office 2010 registry setting in the prescriptive guidance.

Step 2 is only if you wish to have coexistence, which we do not. 

Therefore, if you require your Outlook profiles to be upgraded, then you should not incorporate the Windows Messaging Subsystem\Profiles registry key or the Microsoft.OMSAddin registry key during monitoring. 

Wednesday, October 27, 2010 11:51 PM