Outlook 2016 does not recognize contacts in my Windows 10 People app RRS feed

• Question

• Outlook 2016 does not recognize contacts in my Windows 10 People app.  Someone asked the question at the link below, and 39 responses later, they still don't seem to have an answer.  Let me ask the question from what I learned reading that thread:

Do I need to export my contacts from the Windows 10 "People" app, and import them into Outlook?  

I find it really had to believe this is the case, since every time I added a contact, I'd have to export/import them.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/msoffice_outlook-mso_win10/outlook-2016-contacts-not-accessible-from-outlook/d665a900-d083-4ba9-93b9-5f72e649cf5a

zbernie@icloud.com

Sunday, July 9, 2017 4:31 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Currently, it's not supported to sync Windows People App directly with Outlook. The People app syncs with an Outlook.com account and you can sync Outlook 2016 Calendar and Contacts with an Outlook.com account and the master account is the Outlook.com account. You may set up an account in Outlook.com then set Outlook 2016 to sync with that account and the People app to link with that account.

Regards,

Steve Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by zzBernie Tuesday, July 11, 2017 1:17 AM
    Monday, July 10, 2017 5:51 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Currently, it's not supported to sync Windows People App directly with Outlook. The People app syncs with an Outlook.com account and you can sync Outlook 2016 Calendar and Contacts with an Outlook.com account and the master account is the Outlook.com account. You may set up an account in Outlook.com then set Outlook 2016 to sync with that account and the People app to link with that account.

Regards,

Steve Fan

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by zzBernie Tuesday, July 11, 2017 1:17 AM
    Monday, July 10, 2017 5:51 AM
  • Thank you, I thought that was the case.  Microsoft should really provide a way to sync the People app with Outlook.

zbernie@icloud.com

Tuesday, July 11, 2017 1:19 AM
  • Thank you for the feedback. I'd recommend you submit a feedback regarding this via the UserVoice forum, which is the most direct channel our product team utilizes to collect ideas and suggestions from our customers. Microsoft values all customer feedback. We want to hear from you about how we can make our products better.

Thank you for your understanding and support.

Regards,

Steve Fan

Tuesday, July 11, 2017 1:35 AM
  • Why would anyone ever have to send feedback that one Microsoft app should be able to connect to another Microsoft app?!?!? Is that what the feedback line is for now? Instead is saying "Hey, you know what would be great to add into your software, you should add the ability to tell what a grape taste like in VR" you have to say, "Hey, it would be great if the contacts in Windows 10 could sync to the Outlook program installed in Windows 10". Maybe I am being a bit cynical but I would have thought that would be a "DUH" and should have been included in Outlook 2016 in the first place. Though from a security standpoint, it might cause issues, but then, someone would have said as much

Friday, February 2, 2018 4:14 AM
  • Answer: it let led me to discover you can go to the contacts files you imported into the contacts in Outlook. Find the contact file you want Outlook to use for emails, then right click on the file, then click properties and a popup shows up then select the address book tab, another pop up with a check box that allows you to Use this 'filename' as the address book for Outlook. You will be good to go after making this change.

Thursday, May 3, 2018 6:11 PM