none
Onedrive sync slow, takes a long time to sync 70 + folders

Question

• Hello,

I have the following situation:

- Office 365 tenant in Europe

- User has onedrive on the pc, wants to sync multiple sharepoint document libraries (70+)

- At the first syncs, onedrive responds without issues. 
    When syncing more and more document libraries, the sync appears to be slower until it seems it doesn't respond at all at moments.

I have followed the information on https://support.office.com/nl-nl/article/Problemen-met-synchroniseren-in-OneDrive-oplossen-83ab0d8a-8400-45b0-8dcf-dc8aa8a6bcf8?ui=nl-NL&rs=nl-NL&ad=NL,

Ending up resetting the onedrive cliënt or detaching the office 365 account several times.

I can't keep doing this for this user.

I can't seem to find any documentation on the limit of syncs.

I have a system set up, parallel to the user experiencing above issue.

If the pc is online all the time, I don't see much issues.

System:

Brand new installed windows 7 enterprise, fully patched (dutch version)

Office 2016, version 16.0.6956.2117 (dutch version)

Onedrive build 17.3.6798.0207

Internet line: office line: 200 mbps download, 20 mbps upload

Checked in firewall, bandwith is at 20 % load at the time of setting up sync.

The user is driving from project to project, each with different internet connections.

I have her on the phone every 2 or 3 days, trying to identify the root cause, or helping with a reset or alike.

How can I troubleshoot or monitor this? I'm trying to find a solution, instead of hanging on the phone every 2 or 3 days.

Logs of Onedrive?

protection.office.com - audit log (with a bit of delay)

Sysinternals process monitor

Regards

Stijn

Tuesday, March 14, 2017 10:29 AM

All replies

• I'm not aware of any specific documentation that specifies a limit to the sync engine in OneDrive Next Gen Sync.  But having said that, I seriously doubt that MS designed it to sync 70+ different SharePoint libraries.  I don't think there is a way to solve your client's problem other than telling them they need to decrease the number of libraries that they try to sync.

Paul Stork SharePoint Server MVP
    Principal Architect: Blue Chip Consulting Group
    Blog: http://dontpapanic.com/blog
    Twitter: Follow @pstork
    Please remember to mark your question as "answered" if this solves your problem.

Tuesday, March 14, 2017 12:25 PM
  • My instincts say the same thing.

Elaborating on the setup here:
    1 project site contains 17 document libraries.
    This was setup like this in the era of the 5000 items limitation.

My gut feeling says that I can consolidate those 17 libraries into 1 for each project.
    So instead of 70+ folders that needs to be synced, only 10 need to be.

But this takes some time, and doesn't mean the sync issues will go away.

The person complaining is an administrative colleague, who has to maintain the files and work on all these projects.
    Tuesday, March 14, 2017 2:42 PM
  • I understand the scenario.  I've had a similar issue with a client around co-authoring in Excel Online.  It works fine when you've got up to 4 people authoring, but begins to degrade from there.  They wanted 25+ people in a spreadsheet concurrently.  That's an edge case and it just isn't reasonable to expect that it will work.

The other issue you may be running into is the total number of files being synced.  Originally there was a firm limit of 20,000 files total.  That's been significantly expanded.  But if the large number of libraries is because people were running into the 5,000 item limit that may still be a factor.

Paul Stork SharePoint Server MVP
    Principal Architect: Blue Chip Consulting Group
    Blog: http://dontpapanic.com/blog
    Twitter: Follow @pstork
    Please remember to mark your question as "answered" if this solves your problem.

Tuesday, March 14, 2017 6:30 PM