none
Newbie USMT and MDT question RRS feed

• Question

• Hi guys,

This is probably a very newbie question :) I understand that USMT is able to backup and restore user profiles. In my organization we have a bunch of users who save data on the root of C drive. Is there any way to automate USMT to also backup files and folders from the C drive which are not already part of Windows installation?

Also, do you guys think USMT the best tool to backup and restore of data to automate PC refresh process?

Thank you!

Steve

Thursday, July 30, 2015 1:54 PM

All replies

• USMT is awesome once configured.  Out of box it will scan C: and migrate the file types listed here - https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd560792%28v=ws.10%29.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396 - It's pretty easy to add file types to that xml file if necessary as well.   I still recommend having some sort of failsafe -- "we have a standard automated backup app on all systems" but most of our users data was covered just by the default USMT xml files.  What I would recommend is to get a VM lab setup and have a machine with data, and a second machine that has no user data.  Then just validate restoring data on the machine with no user data.  Hope this helps.

Ryan

Thursday, July 30, 2015 3:01 PM
  • Thank you very much for your response! I will definitely set up a VM environment and test it out. I feel like MDT is great for what it does but being able to automatically backup and restore user data will be huge for us :) What do you recommend as a failsafe?
    Thursday, July 30, 2015 5:02 PM
  • We run Crashplan here which just periodically parses the system for user file changes and backs them up.  You can also turn on computer backup in MDT, which will create a WIM backup of the system but takes much longer to do and more storage space.  Hardlink migrations were a huge improvement for us, we went from hours to reimage a users machine to 45 minutes.  When we get push button reset working in Windows 10 + USMT, users will eventually be able to just reimage themselves if they're having issues.
    Thursday, July 30, 2015 5:51 PM
  • Thank you very much for your response! I will definitely set up a VM environment and test it out. I feel like MDT is great for what it does but being able to automatically backup and restore user data will be huge for us :) What do you recommend as a failsafe?

Just confirming what Ryan said, Out of the box USMT in MDT will backup files and folders even if they saved it to the root of C:\  You can also create your own custom XML files and configure the customsettings to include them. If you do that however, you must include the default XML files as well.

USMTMigFiles001=MigApp.xml
    USMTMigFiles002=MigUser.xml
    USMTMigFiles003=CustomUser.xml
    USMTMigFiles004=CustomApp.xml

My "failsafe" is that I have the migration files stored on a network share that has a raid setup. Sure it's slower, but the data is safer.

If this post is helpful please vote it as Helpful or click Mark for answer.

Thursday, July 30, 2015 7:01 PM
  • I'm not brave enough to do hardlink. I don't want to be blamed in case the drive failed by coincidence. Most of the time though we are replacing computers and not refreshing a pc.

If this post is helpful please vote it as Helpful or click Mark for answer.

Thursday, July 30, 2015 7:06 PM