The STARTTLS Certificate will expire soon RRS feed

• Question

• I recently started receiving the above message for one of our back-end mailbox servers. The server was also displaying event 12018 in the event log (i.e. The STARTTLS certificate will expire soon: subject). Tthe certificate referenced was a self-signed one used for internal SMTP traffic only and the Get-ExchangeCertificate showed it along witht he correct thumbprint referenced by SCOM and the event log.

From the Management Console I chose to renew the certificate and then to remove the old one once prompted. After renewal I restarted the transport service.  Since this time (24 hours ago) we have had no further 12018 messages in the event log.  Strangely though, SCOm still keeps reporting the "The STARTTLS Certificate will expire soon" warning for this server, referencing the thumbprint of the old certificate.  I can't see the old certificate in either the Exchange Console, by using the Get-ExchangeCertificate powershell command, or in the certificates MMC connected to the local computer account.

Does anyone have any idea as to why SCOM is still raising the error?

Thanks

Alan

Tuesday, March 10, 2015 11:41 AM

Answers

• Could be a glitch. Try to recalculate monitor health.
    • Marked as answer by Alan_R Wednesday, March 11, 2015 9:40 AM
    Tuesday, March 10, 2015 2:44 PM

All replies

• Could be a glitch. Try to recalculate monitor health.
    • Marked as answer by Alan_R Wednesday, March 11, 2015 9:40 AM
    Tuesday, March 10, 2015 2:44 PM
  • Hi,

You can manually close this alert, and then check whether the alert still occur later.

And you may flush health service state and caches for the Exchange server.

Regards,

Yan Li

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, March 11, 2015 5:14 AM
  • Thanks Alex.  I had tried closing the alert manually but it kept reappearing.  Forcing the recalculation seesm to have done the trick though!
    Wednesday, March 11, 2015 9:41 AM
  • Thanks Yan.  Closing the alert didn't help but recalculating the health did!
    Wednesday, March 11, 2015 9:41 AM