Different locations in Win XP & 7 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I have completed sequencing of datadvantage package,

It is launching fine in Win XP but in Win 7 it is showing an error that cannot find a file  dataConfiguration in C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Varonis\DatAdvantage UI\dataConfiguration.config

Actualy this is the location where my config file is getting saved in XP ,but in win7 since this location is not available, so it is showing the above error.

When I manually copy the above config file in Win 7 in location C:\users\all users\Application Data\Varonis\DatAdvantage UI\dataConfiguration.config, it is working fine but even after including this location in my package ,the same error persists.

Plz help me on this one ,I have got badly stuck bcoz of this.

Tuesday, December 11, 2012 5:59 AM

Answers

• If you have no hard-coded entries and you want the package to work on both OS's - you will need to sequence the package twice - once for each OS. This is standard and recommended practice.

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" or "Vote as Helpful" on the post that answers your question (or click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question). This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

This forum post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of my employer, Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Twitter: @stealthpuppy | Blog: stealthpuppy.com | The Definitive Guide to Delivering Microsoft Office with App-V

• Proposed as answer by znack Tuesday, January 1, 2013 9:21 PM
    • Marked as answer by Aaron.ParkerModerator Saturday, July 13, 2013 3:28 PM
    Tuesday, December 11, 2012 12:55 PM
  • How about a CorrectFilePaths shim on the Win7 machine that will redirect calls to dataConfiguration.config to a location of your choice.

More info here: http://www.msigeek.com/4819/file-re-direction-using-correctfilepaths-shim-to-fix-broken-applications and plenty more on goolge.
    Tuesday, December 11, 2012 8:46 PM

All replies

• Hello,

Most likely your application has a hard-coded path in a file that tells the location of the file.

Usually I use Process Monitor to better understand the applications behavior.

Nicke Källén | The Knack| Twitter: @Znackattack

Tuesday, December 11, 2012 7:22 AM
  • If you've sequenced on one Windows version and you have issues on another, re-sequence the package on the affected OS version. Configure the properties of the App-V packages such as the right package is assigned to the right OS version.

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" or "Vote as Helpful" on the post that answers your question (or click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question). This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

This forum post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of my employer, Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Twitter: @stealthpuppy | Blog: stealthpuppy.com | The Definitive Guide to Delivering Microsoft Office with App-V

Tuesday, December 11, 2012 8:33 AM
  • Thanks Aaron,

But I have already tried that and post which my package was not working in XP(after sequencing in Win7) ,
    If I sequence in XP it is not working in Win7.

Aaron I want my package to work on both OS.

Tuesday, December 11, 2012 11:59 AM
  • Thanks znack,

But I have already checked for hardcoded entries after this error but there was nothing hardcoded dude

Tuesday, December 11, 2012 12:00 PM
  • If you have no hard-coded entries and you want the package to work on both OS's - you will need to sequence the package twice - once for each OS. This is standard and recommended practice.

• Proposed as answer by znack Tuesday, January 1, 2013 9:21 PM
    • Marked as answer by Aaron.ParkerModerator Saturday, July 13, 2013 3:28 PM
    Tuesday, December 11, 2012 12:55 PM
  • How about a CorrectFilePaths shim on the Win7 machine that will redirect calls to dataConfiguration.config to a location of your choice.

More info here: http://www.msigeek.com/4819/file-re-direction-using-correctfilepaths-shim-to-fix-broken-applications and plenty more on goolge.
    Tuesday, December 11, 2012 8:46 PM