Site Mailbox support on exchange 2013 and exchange 2010 personal mailbox RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Please does Microsoft support SharePoint Site Mailboxes accross multiple domains that have both Exchange 2013 and Exchange 2010? I currently manage an environment that has an accounts domain that has all user accounts, SharePoint and Exchange 2010 installed. I also have a resource domain that has Exchange 2013 installed. With the configuration described would a user with outlook 2013 be able to access a SharePoint Site Mailbox that they are site members off but have their personal mailbox hosted on exchange 2010?

Thanks,

Dominic

Monday, March 2, 2015 11:29 AM

Answers

• Didn't try such a configuration, but for funcionality introduced in Exchange 2013 user must has mailbox deployed on the same platform. So I'm afraid you should move mailboxes such a users to Exchange 2013 servers.

Regards, Konrad Sagala, MCT, MCSE+M, MCITP: Exchange 2007/2010, Lync 2010, Office365, Windows 2008, Virtualization

• Proposed as answer by Andy DavidMVP Monday, March 2, 2015 12:39 PM
    • Marked as answer by dnanna Thursday, March 5, 2015 9:31 AM
    Monday, March 2, 2015 12:34 PM

All replies

• Didn't try such a configuration, but for funcionality introduced in Exchange 2013 user must has mailbox deployed on the same platform. So I'm afraid you should move mailboxes such a users to Exchange 2013 servers.

Regards, Konrad Sagala, MCT, MCSE+M, MCITP: Exchange 2007/2010, Lync 2010, Office365, Windows 2008, Virtualization

• Proposed as answer by Andy DavidMVP Monday, March 2, 2015 12:39 PM
    • Marked as answer by dnanna Thursday, March 5, 2015 9:31 AM
    Monday, March 2, 2015 12:34 PM
  • Hi,

If you are talking about site mailbox app in SharePoint 2013 as the article below:

https://support.office.com/en-in/article/Overview-Use-a-site-mailbox-to-collaborate-with-your-team-45fb1ef2-19f5-4bf5-b6e2-8f3f77c09221
    Then any account who has contribute permission of one SharePoint site can access the current site mailbox. User will not see a site mailbox in their Outlook client unless they are an owner or member of that site mailbox.

Additionally, the following article mentioned that Site Mailboxes requires Exchange Server 2013:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj552524.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

Please follow Konrad Sagala's suggestion to move the mailbox to Exchange 2013 and access the site mailbox.

Regards,

Winnie Liang
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, March 3, 2015 10:00 AM
  • Hi All,

Thanks very much for the feedback. Just to be clear, Users on the accounts domain have personal exchange 2010 mailboxes and the site mailboxes are hosted on another domain(resource domain) hosting exchange 2013. Furthermore, Sharepoint is hosted on the accounts domain and the appropriate permission have be set for users in respect to site membership( They are either members or owners).

What I trying to find out is this. Microsoft has said you need SharePoint 2013, Exchange 2013 and outlook 2013 to make full use of the Site mailbox feature. Does this apply to a circumstance  in which the users have exchange 2010 mailboxes but are accessing the mailbox through outlook 2013? I suppose I am inclined to think that as my current setup has not worked Konrad is right to imply that all site mailbox features can only work under the circumstance  that the user mailboxes must be exchange 2013 mailboxes along with the already setup site mail boxes .

One last twist to the problem I am facing.Because I have configured trust between the accounts domain and Exchange domain and users are either owners or members of sites, users are able to actually access the sitemailbox by way of me creating an exchange 2013 linked mailbox and specifying their accounts domain login as the linked master account. But they can only access the sitemailbox by way of OWA.They have to specify their accounts domain credentials to login(as opposed to automatic login) and because they are using OWA it doesn't provide a link to revert back into Sharepoint once  the user has clicked on Site Mailbox icon in SP.Lastly but not the least, there is no access to the site mailbox through outlook as explained earlier on.

Hope this explains my predicament.

Thanks

Dominic

Tuesday, March 3, 2015 11:28 AM