none
Please Help - Changing Default Working Time RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have worked on this for several hours now.  I have watched 5 different youtube videos, read over a dozen websites/forum posts, and nothing works.  I have also tried it in 3 different project programs (MS project 2002, Project Libre, and Open Project) none of them do what I need.  The thing that I am trying to do is to get the default standard calendar to make a tasks start time start at 7 a.m. instead of 8 a.m. Yes, I have created a new calendar and then, in options, selected it as the default calendar for the project.  Yes, I have created resource groups, applied the 7 am calendar to that resource group, then applied that resource to a task.  Yes, I have gone to tools > change working time > and made every day of the year 7:00 am.  Yes, I have gone to tools > change working time > new > create a new base calendar  > made it start at 7:00 am, and then applied that calendar to the resource, selected that calendar as default calendar in Project > project information > Calendar > select calendar with 7:00 start.......I have changed the default duration days to match a 9, 10, 11 hour day with start time of 7:00 a.m. NOTHING works.  

It simply cannot be this hard to make any of these projects software understand "any task I enter, make it start at 7:00 a.m. instead of 8:00 a.m. without having to add a constraint to each individual task."   What am I missing? Please, save my sanity. 

Thursday, July 31, 2014 1:22 PM

All replies

• Hi Cynthia,

Just a quick question: did you set the project start date with the time at 7am in the project information?

To do what you want, you need to:

• configure a project calendar with appropriate working hours (starting at 7am),
    • associate this calendar to your project and your resources
    • set your scheduling options at 7am for the default start time and the correct hours per day
    • set the start date AND time correctly in the project information

If you do this, you should be ok, assuming there are no constraints, exceptions or any obstacle to the task start date. 

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MCP, MCTS |

Thursday, July 31, 2014 1:38 PM
  • I think your last point may have done it.  Making sure the start date/time of the project in project information is set to 7:00 a.m.! 

Thank you.

Thursday, July 31, 2014 2:06 PM
  • You're more than welcome Cynthia!

Please mark any helpful replies as an answer so other users with a similar concern can refer to it.

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MCP, MCTS |

Thursday, July 31, 2014 2:12 PM