Windows 7 Serial Port Issue RRS feed

• Question

• Win 7 certainly seems to have a lot of problems with serial ports. So here is mine:

I help with IT things at a small community radio station in CO. The gm's computer which was an antique was replaced in January. His old computer running XP Pro had a serial connection over a piece of rj-11 cable (wire?) to a an unusual splitter that feeds into a blade server. The connection is used to manually set BBC settings, NPR broadcast times and things of that nature. The machine is a Dell and shipped with a serial port but we couldn't get it to work at all. We bought a pci express serial card and found the proper drivers and it shows up in device mgr as com4. I have installed the hyperterminal files from xp which supposedly work on win7 and also putty. I do the settings correctly and there is no actual connection. The terminal window is there with a green cursor but doesn't respond to anything at all. If anyone has any suggestions please let me know, this is getting desperate...

Thanks in advance for your help!

Friday, June 8, 2012 1:32 AM

Answers

• Maybe the hyperterminal files are not compatible with Windows 7. You need to contact the device manufacturer support for more information.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

• Marked as answer by Arthur Xie Friday, June 29, 2012 9:00 AM
    Monday, June 11, 2012 8:00 AM