none
primary and secondary protection RRS feed

• Question

• I have dual stand alone Hyper-v host each with DPM 2010 installed and acting as Primary DPM servers. The DPM 2010 on each host is acting as primary and backing up the local VHD's and application data from the VM's. I have setup a secondary DPM2010 with tape at DR site and wish to backup the primary DPM to the secondary DPM and then to tape. Secondary DPM has agent installed on primary. Issue I have is when I select the Hyper-V VHD's on the primary I receive the following error 

"DPM CANNOT PROTECT THIS DATA SOURCE BECAUSE THE SECONDARY DPM SERVER CANNOT PROTECT A LOCAL DATA SOURCE THAT IS PROTECTED ON THE PRIMARY DPM SERVER" ID: 31227

Do I need to change DPM primarys so that DPM primary1 backups Hyper-v2 and DPM Primary2 backs up Hyper-v1.

• Moved by Praveen D [MSFT] Wednesday, August 11, 2010 2:17 PM Moving to DPM DR Protection Forum (From:Data Protection Manager)
    Friday, August 6, 2010 4:54 PM

Answers

• Hi,

I need to stand corrected, my bad - sorry 

<snip>
    Cross DPM protection is the absolute best way to go.    DPM1 <--> DPM2   - then use DPM3 as secondary protection for both DPM1 and DPM2.
    >snip<

The above will not work, ANY DPM agent that is protecting a data source on any other DPM server will prevent secondary protection from working.

Examples:

DPM1 protecting local data sources (hyper-V guest for example) cannot have secondary protection because it's local DPMRA service owns the local machine.

DPM1  <--Cross protection---> DPM2 - Both DPM machines have DPMRA ownership of each other, therefore DPM3 cannot protect either machine.   

Regards, Mike J [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    • Proposed as answer by Parag Agrawal Tuesday, September 21, 2010 12:33 PM
    • Marked as answer by Praveen D [MSFT] Wednesday, October 20, 2010 5:40 AM
    Thursday, September 9, 2010 6:50 PM

All replies

• I have a similar setup, with an on-site and off-site hyper-v host. The off-site host's reason for existence is to fail-over if the on-site fails, so I need the DPM off-site to be able to restore backups if the on-site hyper-v failed. I thought the primary/secondary DPM setup was designed to do this - replicate the primary DPM backups to the secondary (off-site), so that the secondary would then be able to do restores of the primary data. I also use FRS to replicate the data off-site. Should I just back up that replicated data off-site?
    Wednesday, August 11, 2010 3:35 PM
  • This was touted as a feature in the 2007 SP1 info and video. I agree for site resiliency this is a much better approach when dual host are used. But what if I have some single host hyper-v boxes at remote locations and want to installing DPM 2010 on the host as primary and secondary back to central DR site.

In fact, one can run DPM 2007 SP1 on the Hyper-V host itself, providing a self-contained solution.

And because DPM can replicate from one DPM server to another (DPM-2-DPM-4-DR), you can easily replicate your VHDs off-site (even to our cloud partner) !!

Can someone from MSFT DPM Team comment on proper Hyper-V DPM deployment.

Wednesday, August 11, 2010 5:22 PM
  • My DPMs are actually both virtual machines inside hyper-v hosts, and after I wrote my comment, I was finally able to make the primary accept an agent from the secondary, and set up the secondary to protect the primary. I chose all the volumes on the protected servers, as well as the DPM database and it is currently creating the replicas (about a terabyte across a 20Mb point to point connection - so it will take a while.) I am very happy now.

My next idea is to acually use DPM on the primary to protect an entire VM, and replicate that off-site. The server in question is about 180 GB, so that will take a while too.

Wednesday, August 11, 2010 6:52 PM
  • David-Allen hit the nail on the head.

<snip>

You can't provide secondary protection of data that is protected locally by the primary DPM server, then altering the configuration so your DPM primary1 backs up Hyper-V2 and vice-versa will work.  You will then be able to provide secondary DPM protection for both of your primary DPM servers.

Setting up protection in this way also gives you an extra layer of resiliency as you will have two remote copies of the protected data.

>snip<

Cross DPM protection is the absolute best way to go.    DPM1 <--> DPM2   - then use DPM3 as secondary protection for both DPM1 and DPM2.

Regards, Mike J [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Wednesday, August 11, 2010 7:57 PM
  • Thanks, Mike

So if I only have a single Hyper-V host at primary location, the only way is to have a dedicated primary DPM server at primary site to backup VHD's and not run it on the hyper-v host. Then I can have secondary DPM at DR site to back up primary DPM.

Was hoping to do a all in one solution/server but looks like DPM will not allow that configuration for Hyper-V

Wednesday, August 11, 2010 8:32 PM
  • Well, you could run DPM as a guest in the Hyper-V server at the primary location and have it protect the host and backup the guests (excluding itself of course), then have the secondary DPM server at the DR site protect the primary DPM server.  That will work if you use pass thru disks (used for the DPM storage pool) for the DPM guest.

Wednesday, August 11, 2010 9:39 PM
  • Hi Mike,

I tried running DPM on a Hyper-V guest (the DPM primary) protecting local resources (files) on its Hyper-V host and other Hyper-V guest. The DPM secondary thinks the Hyper-V host is running DPM and will not protect the Hyper-V host protected resources. The error I get is below:

"DPM CANNOT PROTECT THIS DATA SOURCE BECAUSE THE SECONDARY DPM SERVER CANNOT PROTECT A LOCAL DATA SOURCE THAT IS PROTECTED ON THE PRIMARY DPM SERVER" ID: 31227

On the secondary DPM console, under Protected Servers, the Hyper-V host has the same icon as the DPM primary and secondary. Other than this issue, the secondary DPM does everything it is supposed to – protects Hyper-Vs and physical machines (other than the Hyper-V host) protected by the primary DPM.

Do you have any ideas why this is so?

Thanks,

Larry Shaible

Problem Solved:

At one time the Hyper-V host was a DPM server. Even though I uninstall all traces of DPM, SQL, etc. the secondary DPM still thought the Hyper-V host was a DPM server when being protected by the Hyper-V guest (primary DPM), hence the error above.

What solved the problem was, on the Hyper-V host, uninstalling the “Windows Server Backup” feature and then reinstalling it. Installing the DPM agent, protecting resources from the primary, and then from the secondary. All is fine now. The secondary DPM console looks and acts as it should.

Larry

Wednesday, August 25, 2010 3:03 AM
  • I'm having an issue with secondary protection using the cross DPM protection method. When I install the agent from DPM3(secondary DPM) on say DPM1 or DPM2 which is primary for cross protecting hyper-v1 and hyper-v2, I lose agent communication on the cross DPM primarys and the agent for DPM3(secondary) is now the only one communicating. Following error is in logs

"The DPM protection agent on VIRTUAL02.govserv.local could not be contacted. Subsequent protection activities for this computer may fail if the connection is not established. The attempted contact failed for the following reason: (ID: 3122) The protection agent operation failed because it could not access the protection agent on VIRTUAL02.govserv.local. VIRTUAL02.govserv.local may be running DPM, or the DPM protection agent may have been installed by another DPM server. (ID: 302)"

Thursday, September 9, 2010 2:25 PM
  • Hi,

I need to stand corrected, my bad - sorry 

<snip>
    >snip<

The above will not work, ANY DPM agent that is protecting a data source on any other DPM server will prevent secondary protection from working.

Examples:

DPM1 protecting local data sources (hyper-V guest for example) cannot have secondary protection because it's local DPMRA service owns the local machine.

DPM1  <--Cross protection---> DPM2 - Both DPM machines have DPMRA ownership of each other, therefore DPM3 cannot protect either machine.   

• Proposed as answer by Parag Agrawal Tuesday, September 21, 2010 12:33 PM
    • Marked as answer by Praveen D [MSFT] Wednesday, October 20, 2010 5:40 AM
    Thursday, September 9, 2010 6:50 PM