none
Getting error with DPM on a couple VM's running Winodows Server 2008R2: DPM encountered a retryable VSS error. (ID 30112 Details: (0x800423F3)) RRS feed

• Question

• OK,

First this error only happens on one of my Virtual Hosts, and only a couple VM's on that specific host. All other VM's run fine as do all other hosts using DPM 2010. I am Using Microsoft DPM 2010 to protect all my virtual machines on the hosts. The weird thing is that the error is intermittent. One day the VM's are fine, and the next day they are checked "Red". It specifically says " Recovery point creation failed". Now I looked up the error and tried the steps recommended per Microsoft System Center. I remoted into all the VM's that are getting the VSS error and I opened the command prompt as an admin and ran the "vsadmin list writers" every single one is fine, no errors, and running normal.  Then, I went into event viewer on every single VM that is running 2008R2 and there are no VSS errors, not a single one. The only thing the event viewer lists is an information level for VSS, specifically Event ID 8224,which I looked this up and its normal, " The VSS service is shutting down due to idle timeout" The only thing I can't check is the integration components package for the virtual machine. When I go to Server Manager, Roles, Expand Roles, then Click Hyper V it does not even let me install it on any of the servers that are getting the VSS error ID 30112? It says the processor on the computer is not valid for Hyper V. I dont' think this is causing my issue, because some of the other VM's that are NOT getting the VSS write error also don't have Hyper V installed in Server Manager and are backing up fine?

So any ideas on this, I even went into Virtual Machine Manager, went to hardware configuration then Advanced, went down to Integration Services and "unchecked" Backup ( Volume Snapshot) and no luck! I have been researching this error for a while and cannot seem to make any headway on it. Its especially frustrating since it works one day and not another! I am almost thinking to just ignore it.

Thanks so much,

Adam

Friday, May 11, 2012 4:21 PM

Answers

• Hey Kelly,

I actually was able to fix my issue. I forgot to actually run "vsadmin list writters" on one of my actual hosts, not the VM. One of my five hosts had a hung process, the rest were fine. So, after hours I just had to reboot the server, and never had a problem since. Make sure to run an elevated command prompt (admin rights) and run "vsadmin list writers" on all your physical hosts and VMs, and make sure nothing is hung or error state.

Hope that helps,

Adam

Thursday, June 7, 2012 7:34 PM

All replies

• Does anyone have any suggestions on this, I opened a ticket with Microsoft.

Thanks,

Adam

Tuesday, May 15, 2012 7:07 PM
  • No updates, just here to say that I have the same issue with one specific Hyper-V guest on one host.  The only change I can track down so far is that the owner of that server applied SharePoint 2010 SP1 and a CU the day it broke.  Curious what Microsoft offers you.
    Thursday, May 17, 2012 8:16 PM
  • Hey Kelly,

I actually was able to fix my issue. I forgot to actually run "vsadmin list writters" on one of my actual hosts, not the VM. One of my five hosts had a hung process, the rest were fine. So, after hours I just had to reboot the server, and never had a problem since. Make sure to run an elevated command prompt (admin rights) and run "vsadmin list writers" on all your physical hosts and VMs, and make sure nothing is hung or error state.

Hope that helps,

Adam

Thursday, June 7, 2012 7:34 PM
  • Adam, thank you very much for the reply.  I'm happy to report that the following article is what resolved the issue in our case; SharePoint Foundation 2010 SP1 had been installed without us knowing:

http://blogs.technet.com/b/sbs/archive/2011/07/06/potential-issues-after-installing-sharepoint-foundation-2010-sp1.aspx

Have a great weekend!

Friday, June 8, 2012 4:06 PM