WSUS Version 3.2.7600.251 Stuck on "Updates needing files: 1" RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there,

I was wondering if there is anyone with past experience on this one.

I have recently approved the Win10 Upgrade (from Win7) via the WSUS as there are a few computers to be upgraded and also on a rather slow link of 4Mbits.

Upon approval, WSUS proceeded with its download and it has been stuck on:

Updates needing files:
    Downloaded 5,173.68 MB of 5,173.68 MB

Need to know also:
    - WSUS is on a server running SBS 2011
    - Have already attempted a few reboot (just in case)
    - Also have attempted to do a couple more Synchronizations which would force the downloaded process to begin again
    No matter what however, still stuck at 5,173.68 MB of 5,173.68 MB.

Any suggestions/recommendations?

Saturday, June 25, 2016 3:07 PM

All replies

• Hi loannis Georgiadis,

1. Please check the event log of WSUS, see if there are errors;

2. For WSUS on common server OS, we need to add .esd MIME type to WSUS IIS site to allow download upgrade files, please check if you can add this MIME type for WSUS in server SBS somewhere.

Best Regards,

Anne

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, June 27, 2016 5:08 AM
  • Hi Anne,

Thanks for the reply.

I'll start with what could be done. MIME type .esd is now added under IIS. On things like that SBS works exactly like any other OS.

As for the errors, these are the ones I'm getting.

a. Event 10032, WSUS, The server is failing to download some updates

b. Event 13042, WSUS, Self-update is not working.

Those two show up every few hours and only once which I believe is nothing this came up:

a. Event 7053, WSUS, The WSUS administration console has encountered an unexpected error. This may be a transient error; try restarting the administration console

The above is an error which I have seen in the past many times, can happen that the snap-in fails creating the error and resetting the node you get access to it again.

Based on your response however I have one more question, isn't the MIME type and the .esd related to the delivery of WSUS to the clients?

If I am correct to my question, I like to mention that I'm stuck prior to that as the update does not show as an option yet to those computer which I am not questioning due to the point the WSUS is stuck into:

Updates needing files: 1

Unfortunately I can't upload an image at the moment due to account confirmation, I'll work on that too.

Thanks again for your suggestion and I will be performing another sync now after the changes under IIS to check if it would work.

Regards

Monday, June 27, 2016 8:48 AM
  • Hi loannis Georgiadis,

Have you got any progress with the issue? What's your current situation now?

Best Regards,

Anne

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, July 7, 2016 9:48 AM
  • Hi there,

I was wondering if there is anyone with past experience on this one.

I have recently approved the Win10 Upgrade (from Win7) via the WSUS as there are a few computers to be upgraded and also on a rather slow link of 4Mbits.

Upon approval, WSUS proceeded with its download and it has been stuck on:

Updates needing files:

Need to know also:
    - WSUS is on a server running SBS 2011
    - Have already attempted a few reboot (just in case)
    - Also have attempted to do a couple more Synchronizations which would force the downloaded process to begin again
    No matter what however, still stuck at 5,173.68 MB of 5,173.68 MB.

Any suggestions/recommendations?

I have seen this behavior before, but not with SBS 2011. That would be a special case. I would check the SBS forums for more specific help. The only reason I resolved this issue was I upgraded the server to Windows Server 2012 R2 from a Windows Server 2008. I wish I could help. 
    Friday, July 8, 2016 7:53 PM
  • Did you solve this?

We know what the issue is, apparently, the new updates "Anniversary Update, "Creators Update" and the like use different parameters that are "not supported" in WSUS 3.0.

The advice we received was to upgrade our servers...

As an option, if I just knew which updates are the right ones, I would un-approve them, so it would stop downloading them over-and-over. However, i don't know how t do that.

Best case would be to have them actually download and go to our users.

We're on Server 2008 R2, not SBS, but should be the same in this case.

Let me know if you figured it out!!

Monday, August 14, 2017 7:46 PM