none
User Profiles on Server 2012 R2 RDSH setup

Question

• With User Profiles, I have noticed that there are 3 components:-

With a users profile I can see the following

AppData\LocalLow

AppData\Local

AppData\Roaming

Using Group Policy I can see the option to Roam the AppData\Roaming folder and subfolders.

Do I need to worry about the other 2 folders?

For example, I notice the Google Chrome places its user config info under the AppData\Local folder but I did find a GPO for Chrome which allows me to redirected.

Monday, October 26, 2015 2:24 PM

Answers

• Hi,

The AppData folder contains app settings, files, and data specific to the apps on your PC.

The Roaming sub folder contains data/files that are machine independent. So it can move with your user profile from PC to PC. As you already know, we can configure it to roam with the user via group policy.

The Local and LocalLow sub folders are for application data that cannot roam with the user. Usually this data is either machine specific or too large to roam. As you noticed, web browsers usually store their temporary files in Local folder.

To my knowledge, there is no native way to redirect these two folders or include them in roaming profiles. They are designed for storage of components that shouldn't be redirected or roam.

More reference:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/what-appdata-folder

Regards,

Ethan Hua

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Tuesday, October 27, 2015 9:31 AM

All replies

• Hi,

The AppData folder contains app settings, files, and data specific to the apps on your PC.

The Roaming sub folder contains data/files that are machine independent. So it can move with your user profile from PC to PC. As you already know, we can configure it to roam with the user via group policy.

The Local and LocalLow sub folders are for application data that cannot roam with the user. Usually this data is either machine specific or too large to roam. As you noticed, web browsers usually store their temporary files in Local folder.

To my knowledge, there is no native way to redirect these two folders or include them in roaming profiles. They are designed for storage of components that shouldn't be redirected or roam.

More reference:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/what-appdata-folder

Regards,

Ethan Hua

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Tuesday, October 27, 2015 9:31 AM
  • Thanks for the info Ethan.

I will take a look at this

Tuesday, October 27, 2015 3:08 PM
  • Hi,

Just checking in to see if above information was helpful. Kindly help to mark it as answer if it helps, and feel free to let us know if you need further assistance.

Thanks,

Regards,

Ethan Hua

Tuesday, November 3, 2015 11:25 AM
  • Thanks Ethan,

This is great.

Tuesday, November 3, 2015 12:18 PM