none
Hyper-V, Routing and Gateway RRS feed

• Question

• Dear All

I am new to Server related configuration and would like to train myself. My idea is, that I setup a seperate network, where I can fool around and test and play with Server2008.

What I have is an internal Network with the IP 192.168.1.0/24.

My idea was, that I setup a Server with a static IP address on the first NIC with 192.168.1.100, so I am able to get to the Internet. I then setup Hyper-V, cause in that virtual environment, I would like to setup several Servers and machines for testing.

Here starts my problem.

I was able to setup Hyper-V and to make it run. But now I am confused. I have a second nic, which I could setup for the virtual Network. My idea would be, that in the virtual environment, I run a AD Server with the IP 192.168.5.10. Where I am lost is, how am I able to route the two Networks 192.168.1.0/24 with 192.168.5.0/24 I did setup the routing and also installed the RIP protocol but was never able to ping from one network to the other one.

Where I was confused the most was, where on the virtual environment is my gateway ? I only found that TS Gateway but assume, I do not need that. Is there a way, I can setup a Gateway with the IP 192.168.5.1, so the machines in the VM will be able to get to the next hop ? I assume cause of not having a Gateway, my routing does not work.

On the physical Server, do I enable the routing on that machine or would I do that on the virtual Server ? I assume I need two NIC's to make this work ? Could you give me a quick step, where I need to install and enable roles and services, to make that run ?

Sorry guys, that I am asking these kinds of questions, but this is all new to me and I would like to seperate the two networks, so I can play around with the virtual one without harming my home network.

Thanx for all the help 

Wednesday, February 16, 2011 7:52 PM

Answers