Vista Lenovo Laptop won't recognize Canon Rebel XT camera. RRS feed

• Question

• I have downloaded the vista drivers from the Canon website for the Canon Digital Rebel XT (350 D).
    The device manager shows me EOS_Kiss_N_RebelXT350D under the imaging devices tab.

Vista still won't let me download pictures from the camera.

What do I do next?
    Tuesday, May 12, 2009 8:11 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Thank you for your post.

May I know if it worked previously?

As I know, the camera should be recognized as a removable storage device and it would appear in Computer window and then we can access the device and transfer the photos to the computer. Therefore, please check if it will be shown in Computer window first.

Meanwhile, I would like to suggest trying the following to narrow down the issue:

1.    Plug the camera to another computer and check if you can download the pictures.

2.    Please check if the storage device exits in Disk Management.

Note: Firstly, please perform a full backup of your storage card or device in the camera.

1)  Open Computer Management by clicking the Start, right-clicking Manage. In the Navigation pane, under Storage, click Disk Management.

2)  If the device exists, please see if a Driver Letter has been assigned. If not, please try to assign a drive letter to it, go to Computer and check if it will appear.

Considering the issue is related to a specific device and we have limited sources to help you on troubleshooting, it is recommended that you contact Canon for technical support.

Note: Microsoft provides third-party contact information to help you find technical support. This contact information may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this third-party contact information.

Hope the issue will be resolved soon. Thanks.

Nicholas Li - MSFT
    Thursday, May 14, 2009 10:56 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Thank you for your post.

May I know if it worked previously?

As I know, the camera should be recognized as a removable storage device and it would appear in Computer window and then we can access the device and transfer the photos to the computer. Therefore, please check if it will be shown in Computer window first.

Meanwhile, I would like to suggest trying the following to narrow down the issue:

1.    Plug the camera to another computer and check if you can download the pictures.

2.    Please check if the storage device exits in Disk Management.

Note: Firstly, please perform a full backup of your storage card or device in the camera.

1)  Open Computer Management by clicking the Start, right-clicking Manage. In the Navigation pane, under Storage, click Disk Management.

2)  If the device exists, please see if a Driver Letter has been assigned. If not, please try to assign a drive letter to it, go to Computer and check if it will appear.

Considering the issue is related to a specific device and we have limited sources to help you on troubleshooting, it is recommended that you contact Canon for technical support.

Note: Microsoft provides third-party contact information to help you find technical support. This contact information may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this third-party contact information.

Hope the issue will be resolved soon. Thanks.

Nicholas Li - MSFT
    Thursday, May 14, 2009 10:56 AM
  • Hi,
    I was previously using this with a laptop given to me by my workplace. This is the first time I am using this with my Lenovo Vista laptop. The earlier machine was a DELL - XP.

The device does show up in the device management, but I am unable to assign a drive letter to it.

Currently, I am using a card-reader to transfer photographs, but I am still curious to know if this is a problem that others are also facing.

Regards,
    Abhi
    Friday, May 22, 2009 5:23 PM