(SOLVED) Taskbar thumbnail preview disappears quickly RRS feed

• General discussion

• I have windows 7 RC on my laptop, Dell 1501.

When I start one or more programs from the taskbar and hover my mouse pointer on them I can see thumbnail previews.
    The problem is that thumbnail previews disappear too quickly even though my mouse pointer is still on the opened program in taskbar.
    I have to move my mouse so I can get another quick preview.
    I notice that if I click on an empty space on the taskbar with the left mouse button, and then point to an opened program the thumbnail preview stays for as long as my mouse pointer is on the program.

Does anybody have that problem?

EDIT:
    I notice something else,
    if I open regedit or computer management and one of them is active, all other opened programs on the taskbar have long thumbnail preview.
    But if for example windows explorer is the active window on taskbar, thumbnail previews stay for a short time.

SOLUTION: dell 1501 specific and may be bios version
    1. shut down the laptop
    2. remove the power supply and the battery
    3. press and hold the power button (I pressed it 2-3 times and kept it pressed for about 1 second) --- obviously the laptop will not start.
    4. plug in the battery and the power supply, start the laptop and check if the problem is gone.
    Sunday, May 31, 2009 7:31 AM

All replies

• Hi!
    I have pretty much the same problem on a Dell Inspiron 1501. I've found two solutions on the problem (one is yours), but neither of them worked for me. Is it possible that a win7 reinstall could help?
    (and also noticed that the alt+tab function isn't working properly too :S )

I'm also thinking that it could be a driver problem, cause there isn't win7 driver for Ati Radeon Xpress 1150 yet.

Any ideas?
    thx
    Sunday, December 13, 2009 12:34 PM
  • I am having the same issue with Ati Radeon Xpress driver 8.561.0.0 on Dell Inspiron 1501.

I also having issues with tooltips and other mouseover events disappearing after a second or so.

I loaded the OS for the 30-day trial and reloaded after that and the problem persists.

These were an issue for me with the RC and I was hoping that they would be fixed when the OS came out last year.

Alt+Tab is working without issues.

Wednesday, January 6, 2010 2:33 PM
  • I am having this issue as well, with all tooltips basically.  I have also suspected the video driver may be at fault.  My laptop is also a 1501.

Not sure if it's related, but scrolling with my touchpad is screwed up as well... it works, but it's as if the scroll function is losing focus or something... it is very difficult to initiate a scroll, and once it does start scrolling, it only does so for a moment.  I know it's not a hardware malfunction, as it works fine in Ubuntu, etc.
    Friday, February 12, 2010 5:14 AM
  • SOLUTION: dell 1501 specific and may be bios version
    1. shut down the laptop
    2. remove the power supply and the battery
    3. press and hold the power button (I pressed it 2-3 times and kept it pressed for about 1 second) --- obviously the laptop will not start.
    4. plug in the battery and the power supply, start the laptop and check if the problem is gone.

I have a Vostro 1000 that was experiencing similar wierd problems.  The touchpad was perhaps a bit, well, touchy.  However the biggest was that help/tool tips in windows only displayed a fraction of a second before disappearing and worst: the Google calendar time listing/drop down would disappear right away.  I updated drivers, java, etc. before stumbling upon this "solution" (after 2 days of googling).

It's insane but it actually works!

I'm assuming it has something to do with discharging the touchpad completely and/or triggering a recalibration.

This has to rank as one of the craziest fixes I've ever discovered.  If I hadn't actually experienced it myself I wouldn't believe it.

Perhaps there is some firmware fix for this but we will see how long it lasts.  If it only crops up every year or so I guess this is a viable preventive maintenance procedure.

Tuesday, April 27, 2010 5:06 AM
  • How did you figure this out? I went through an OS upgrade and then a clean reinstall trying to figure this out on my Alienware m17x. This stupidly simple solution worked great!
    Monday, August 9, 2010 5:54 PM
  • Hello everyone,

I've updated a few days ago BIOS in my Dell Inspiron 1501 on the newest version(2.6.3) and also updated the processor to TL-52 and the problem disappeared...so, I'm happy now :D (btw with the dual-core processor the system is muuuuuch faster, it was totally worth it)

Friday, October 8, 2010 10:02 AM
  • Everything had worked fine for over a year after installing Windows 7 on my Dell Inspiron 1501... and then suddenly, tooltips and thumbnail previews disappeared in 1-2 seconds, and the computer would never go into sleep mode.

After spending literally hours trying to figure out what was different (updated all drivers, disabled/enabled almost everything in device manager, switched to a new mouse, uninstalled various programs), I finally found this page. This solution works for my Inspiron 1501. Thank you so, so much.

I'm amazed at how simple of a fix it was, particularly considering how much time I spent trying to fix it using what I thought would be more obvious solutions.

Tuesday, June 28, 2011 12:28 AM
  • I found a different solution to this problem which worked for me and I don't have a Dell / or a laptop.  It's a Windows 7 64-bit Home Premium machine.

I edited the registry with "regedit"  and changed the following key:   

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop\UserPererencesMask  which is a "REG_BINARY"   to the New value of "98 32 03 80 12 00 00 00"  

The old value I had which had was "99 32 03 80 12 00 00 00" caused the windows or menu selections on the taskbar to disappear too quickly for me to move the mouse over them to make a selection.  All I changed was that 99 to 98 which I looked on an other Windows 7 64-bit machine which did not have this problem and just copied that value.  

It works great now!

Some posts tell you to change the key "MenuShowDelay" from 400 to a higher value but that did nothing for me.

Hope this helps someone.

Monday, August 15, 2011 4:45 AM
  • In case anyone does a search for the term, the previous message has a typo, it's UserPreferencesMask; it's now in this thread, so a search will find it.

None of these "solutions" works well for me (Inspiron 1501), though they do have an effect. Removing all power and pressing power key works; the first time I did it it was OK for a month, now it lasts for maybe a day or two. Better than nothing. Opening Computer Management or Regedit works for a few seconds, but stops working before closing them. The UserPreferencesMask value I have in Win 7 Ultimate is quite different from the value in the previous post of "98 (or 99) 32 03 80 12 00 00 00"; I have "B0 12 03 80 10 00 00 00". I'll try to find out what it means and play with it.

HTH

pol098
    Tuesday, August 23, 2011 1:49 PM
  • Further on UserPreferencesMask: this is a bitmapped registry entry; for example, changing the 8th bit (bit 7, counting from 0), changes Active Window Tracking. To avoid fiddling with binary calculations there is a program that will allow all the functions controlled by UserPreferencesMask to be set, with explanation of what is done, and to save existing configurations. I haven't yet applied it to the Dell 1501 taskbar thumbnail issue. Program is UPMCalc (UPMCalc_1.0.1.zip), from

http://www.mediafire.com/?yje2myrmzqd

I ran it through lots of virus checkers with no problems found.

pol098
    Tuesday, August 23, 2011 3:13 PM
  • Following up my previous message: I have found a setting that seems to resolve the Dell Inspiron 1501 Windows 7 "taskbar thumbnail vanishes after briefly displaying" issue. It involves either using the UPMCalc program just mentioned or, equivalently, setting the first bit (bit 0) of the UserPreferencesMask registry key, which involves some binary-to-hex conversion; you can use the Windows Calculator program in Programmer view. This enables Active Window Tracking: when you move the mouse over a window you can type into it (it is active), although it doesn't become the top window. If you don't like this, you'll have to resort to the other fixes listed here as long as you have the Inspiron! (unless/until someone comes up with something better...).

Another way to achieve this end: type "mouse works" into the Win 7 search box to go to

Control Panel\Ease of Access\Ease of Access Center\Make the mouse easier to use.

Tick "Activate a window by hovering over it with the mouse".

HTH, pol098

pol098
    Tuesday, August 23, 2011 3:46 PM
  • Following up yet again: the UserPreferencesMask or "Activate a window by hovering over it with the mouse" fix does seem to work, but isn't the total solution. I find that taskbar thumbnails do indeed display correctly (though I can't be sure for how long); however the vanishing thumbnails problem is always accompanied by another: tooltip balloon messages also vanish after a very brief display. The solution above fixes thumbnails but not tooltips; removing all power and pressing the power key (as discussed above) does restore them.

pol098
    Wednesday, August 24, 2011 3:41 PM
  • Not sure if this is covered in the details above, but the way it's supposed to work is that when you hover over the button/icon, the Live Preview should remain displayed for as long as you keep the mouse there.  The Tooltip comes up for me after 1 second and then goes away again after 5 seconds.

I've noticed that if I type input to the active window the Live Preview will go away.  Do you have anything else running that could be interacting with your desktop?

I don't know if it could be helpful, but there's another setting the gauges the time in milliseconds it takes for the Taskbar Live Preview to come up on the inital hover.  I like mine to come up faster so I tweaked this value.  Perhaps another setting in the nearby vicinity could help with your problem... 

This involves editing the registry with the Registry Editor tool.

BE VERY CAREFUL WHENEVER EDITING THE REGISTRY.

Click Start and type regedit into the search box, then press Enter.

Add a hover time value of 50 milliseconds by going to the following key and adding the following value:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced]

ExtendedUIHoverTime   REG_DWORD   0x00000032 (50)

-Noel

Wednesday, August 24, 2011 7:50 PM
  • Noel Carboni: "the way it's supposed to work is that when you hover over the button/icon, the Live Preview should remain displayed for as long as you keep the mouse there."

Agreed

"The Tooltip comes up for me after 1 second and then goes away again after 5 seconds"

I was referring to tooltips in general, not just from the taskbar (you probably were too?). Where I specifically notice the problem is in a file manager called Total Commander (TCMD); as long as the mouse cursor is on a filename it displays information (date, size, version) as a tooltip (delay about 1"; never closes). When the taskbar preview problem appears, tooltips also display only briefly; the powerdown fix resolves both. The vanishing tooltip isn't specific to TCMD, it's just where I find it most noticeable and annoying.

Before anything else, the problem I am writing about, and the weird powerdown fix, is specific to the Dell Inspiron 1501 laptop computer (and possibly a few others), which doesn't officially support Windows 7, though it works 99.999% fine (the 0.001% is the vanishing preview/tooltip).

I might fiddle with ExtendedUIHoverTime when (and if) the problem recurs, but at the moment it's working OK and I can't make it misbehave.

Best wishes,

pol098
    Thursday, August 25, 2011 3:58 PM
  • Look for another application that's taking control of the mouse as well.  Anything that you have installed that may be running in the background or regularly...  There's even the possibility of malware...

-Noel

Sunday, August 28, 2011 10:45 PM
  • Look for another application that's taking control of the mouse as well.  Anything that you have installed that may be running in the background or regularly...  There's even the possibility of malware...

Before going any further: have you had this happen with a machine you have used, and have you investigated the issue, or is this a theoretical comment? If you could explain how any of these issues:

1. Would systematically affect a specific model of machine (or possibly a few related models - Dell Inspiron 1501 and some Dell Vostros) with a specific operating system, only.

2. Would, systematically, never clear on switching off and restarting the machine, even leaving it unpowered for hours.

3. Would, systematically and reliably, clear on disconnecting all power (unplug, remove battery) from the machine and pressing the power switch; and would stay clear for weeks, then go wrong and stay wrong.

Note that any rational analysis would say that 2. and 3. should have exactly the same effect.

4. Would clear, predictably, on doing various things mentioned above, and also, as far as I remember, on disabling Win 7 gadgets (seek another thread for this - I read it and tried it, and it worked, but wasn't something I found convenient. When seeking, be sure to include "Inspiron 1501" in your string).

While I don't put my affiliation in my postings, I have plenty of experience; for example, worked on overlaid code in assembly language - successfully. Debugging intermittent Windows issues from first principles is far too time-consuming, I'd never do anything else - long live the Internet.

Best wishes,

pol098
    Monday, August 29, 2011 1:35 AM
  • I can't believe it! Same dell, same problem, same solution. Thanks man!

Never would have thought of that. It was bugging me for 2 weeks now (and Google didn't helped at all). At first I thought it was an Adobe problem (as it started when using Illustrator) and I reinstalled it.. then updated video drivers.. restored Win.. repaired Win.. reinstalled Win.. formatted disk.. when all I had to do was unplug my dumb laptop and press one button :|

• Edited by teeqeela Sunday, September 4, 2011 6:53 PM
    Sunday, September 4, 2011 4:49 PM
  • Before going any further: have you had this happen with a machine you have used, and have you investigated the issue, or is this a theoretical comment?

Sorry for the delay in responding. No, I haven't personally had to deal with this issue; my comment was theoretical, simply intended to spark some ideas. I'd be curious to know whether you've found the reason it was happening, pol098.

-Noel

Sunday, September 4, 2011 5:45 PM
  • teeqeela: "I can't believe it! Same dell, same problem, same solution. Thanks man!"

If that was for me, my pleasure.

Noel Carboni: "I'd be curious to know whether you've found the reason it was happening"

I'm curious about the reason, but not prepared to spend the time to find it; I don't think we'd learn enough from it to justify the time. Back pre-Windows pre-Internet I spent weeks painfully debugging. It's hugely more complicated now, the Internet finds most things quickly anyway, and the tedious tracing doesn't bring many useful insights. I can't give answers, I'll just repeat the facts - any proposed answer must address them. Some details in the numbered points I made a few messages back. The problem first manifested (for me, and I believe for others) some months after installing Win7 on Inspiron 1501 (specifically that machine). It's cleared by removing all power, and by a couple of software tricks (disable gadgets, registry hack). Once cleared by power removal, it stays clear for weeks (not months) then recurs (don't yet know how permanent other fixes will turn out to be). One thinks of things such as some bit in system memory that gets set somehow, and never reset until power is removed (it might be a memory location always alive and watching for a wake-on-lan or other wakeup event), which Win8 expects to find reset. But why the month's delay? Win7 (32- and 64-bit) works fine on Inspiron 1501, but is not officially supported, and some non-Dell drivers must be used; they work fine. I could go on till the cows come home, but I've got myself a usable machine, and told others about it, so that's it.

HTH,

pol098
    Sunday, September 4, 2011 10:02 PM
  • Sorry for resurrecting this rather old thread, but it came up first when I searched for the problem, so it might be a good place to share my solution.

I actually had two problems: the one descibed here and when playing Neverwinter my character always wanted to sidestep as if the shift key was stuck somehow.

Fortunately someone mentioned that he found the error in his setup by disabling all windows services and re-enabling them step by step. For him it ended up to be his Citrix service but for me it was the hidsys service (all services have a long name in your language, but you can see the actual name of the executable in the properties). It's a service somehow responsible for USB audio devices. Since I only have a headset with a USB soundcard, I inspected my headset and found the casing of my volume control to have opened a bit (maybe I stepped on it by mistake? I'm not sure). When I pressed on it gently it snapped into place and to my delight everything worked again: my headset, the taskbar popups and walking in Neverwinter online.

Also I would like to discourage everyone from trying the registry patches provided above. Both are changing settings remotely connected to the problem and don't attack a root cause.

The trick for this particular type of laptop might work though. Maybe resetting something. Still a somwhat dissatisfying solution imho.

TL;DR; After disabling all Windows services and re-enabling them step by step, I discovered that the bug went away when I disabled hidsys which is responsible for USB audio devices. So I checked my headset which comes with a USB sound card. Turns out it was broken, after deconnecting it everything was fine.

Saturday, July 13, 2013 10:50 AM
  • That crazy remove battery and power, press start, then plugin, etc. worked on my Dell XPS M1530.  very strange indeed.  Ginniz..
    Monday, August 5, 2013 5:48 PM
  • I have a very similar problem, but not on the same computer.  I hover over the icon in the taskbar and it disappears too quickly for me to choose one of the possible options.  The preview will not stay open like it is supposed to...as long as I hover over it.  It goes away.

I tried your solution 5 times and it does not work.  Is there something else I can do?

Don

Wednesday, June 18, 2014 10:49 PM
  • I had the same problem using desktop with UPS -- unpluging USB-cable from UPS solved problem.

Tricks with registry described by pol098 unfortunately had no effect for me.

Wednesday, July 9, 2014 1:20 PM
  • Non of the above solution works for me. This problem that preview hides to quickly and if you alt+tab it also hides after a randomly quick time (0.5-3s) is always happening when my laptop is in docking station

I have Lenovo T440 and i did a little reasearch. It dosnt seem to matter how many monitors I have pluged in  it can be 1, 2 or 0 it always does it when its in the docking station.

I tried a different docking station a new one and was ok before I made main one of my 2 external monitors then it started to happen again and cannot revert it even when I unpluging the monitors but leave it in the station.

So i tried a third docking station at my collegue desk and his monitor and again nothing was wrong before i change screen to main on his external monitor. Even after i reverted the settings the problem still exists on that docking station...

Its really annoying and can't get rid of this bug...

Wednesday, October 15, 2014 1:05 PM
  • Has anybody had success with this on the T440.  I have the same issue:

In the Docking Station:  Preview Thumbnails disappear in <2 seconds

Laptop Mode:  They will stay open indefinitely as long as the mouse pointer is over the program on the taskbar.

I have a Logitech M310 wireless mouse, touch pad is disabled on the laptop, just the "Nub" is active when I'm out of the docking station.

Tuesday, June 2, 2015 8:49 PM
  • Has anybody had success with this on the T440.  I have the same issue:

In the Docking Station:  Preview Thumbnails disappear in <2 seconds

Laptop Mode:  They will stay open indefinitely as long as the mouse pointer is over the program on the taskbar.

I have a Logitech M310 wireless mouse, touch pad is disabled on the laptop, just the "Nub" is active when I'm out of the docking station.

I know this thread is a bit old now but I've had this issue recently on my Lenovo T440 and had the same effect (preview disappears quickly in docking station / OK out of docking station)

I first noticed this happening recently (and have now put 2 and 2 together) when I accepted the Lenovo Battery manager's suggestion to optimize for battery health (which apparently only part charges the battery and does not take it to 100%)

I have now configured back to "Always fully charge" in the battery maintenance section of the power manager and the problem has gone away.  Hope this helps? 

Thursday, March 17, 2016 2:31 PM
  • Confirmed. Had this same problem and it immediately disappeared when applying this fix.

Click on your plug symbol in the dock (Power Manager) and go to the Battery tab > Battery Maintenance (button). Select Charge Mode: Always fully charge.

Monday, April 2, 2018 7:04 PM