none
Drive errors reported by Windows 7 \Device\Harddisk6\DR8 has a bad block

Question

• Recently I had to reload Windows 7 Ultimate after the free version of 10 failed to boot and could not repair itself.

I now get bluescreen errors at bootup, and I have to restart, repair, etc. until after a few tries it boots up normally.

The PC runs fine all evening and shuts down cleanly and quickly, at least I think it does, but has problems starting. I went to the events logs and found a number of these "DR#, has a bad block" messages. I think it might be referring to my Kingston 240GB SSD C drive that I have used for approximately 4 years in this machine.  I intend to install Windows 10 this weekend on a new Micron drive, so the Kingston will be relegated to storage of non-essential files.

What unnerves me though is that the # reported, DR1, DR3, DR7,....etc. is usually a different number. Is the log referring to any one drive in particular?  I have 4 SSDs, and 1 HDD connected. What does the number it assigns actually mean?

Saturday, February 10, 2018 1:37 AM

All replies

• Hi,

I suppose the number means partition number.
    Please check if this is correct:
    (1) [Windows logo] kye + [R] > type "diskpart" and [Enter]
    (2) (in DiskPart) type "list volume" and [Enter]

Regards,

Ashidacchi

Saturday, February 10, 2018 6:27 AM
  • To evaluate the BSOD and the bad block messages please post logs for troubleshooting.

Using administrative command prompt copy and paste this whole command:

Make sure the default language is English so that the logs can be scanned and read.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/3813-language-add-remove-change-windows-10-a.html

The command will automatically collect the computer files and place them on the desktop.

Then use one drive or drop box to place share links into the thread for troubleshooting.

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Share-OneDrive-files-and-folders-9fcc2f7d-de0c-4cec-93b0-a82024800c07

It will automatically collect these files:  msinfo32, dxdiag, mini dumps, drivers hosts, install, uninstall, services, startup, event viewer files, etc.

Open administrative command prompt and copy and paste the whole command:

copy %SystemRoot%\minidump\*.dmp "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\"&dxdiag /t %Temp%\dxdiag.txt&copy %Temp%\dxdiag.txt "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\SFdebugFiles\"&type %SystemRoot%\System32\drivers\etc\hosts >> "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\hosts.txt"&systeminfo > "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\systeminfo.txt"&driverquery /v > "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\drivers.txt" &msinfo32 /nfo "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\msinfo32.nfo"&wevtutil qe System /f:text > "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\eventlog.txt"&reg export HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\uninstall.txt"&reg export "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed Components" "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\installed.txt"&net start > "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\services.txt"&REM wmic startup list full /format:htable >"%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\startup.html"&wmic STARTUP GET Caption, Command, User >"%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\startup.txt"

There is 1 file for you to find manually:  memory dump file:

C:\Windows\MEMORY.DMP

Use file explorer > this PC > local C: drive > right upper corner search enter each of the above to find results.

Sometimes the dxdiag file needs to be found and saved manually:  In the left lower corner search type:  dxdiag > When the DirectX Diagnostic Tool opens click on the next page button so that each tab is opened > click on save all information > save to desktop > post one drive or drop box share link into the thread
    Saturday, February 10, 2018 7:20 AM
  • Hi,

In disk management, Disk x refers to \Device\Harddiskx , from your case, it is disk 6.

The number in the DRx part at the end really does not have any special meaning. It is just a sequence number which starts at 0 and increases ever since. That means it matches the preceding HarddiskX part after boot, but if you plug or unplug some drives, the number keeps increasing and naturally gets out of sync.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, February 12, 2018 8:31 AM
  • Hi,

If you have any problem, please feel free to contact me.

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, February 12, 2018 11:30 AM
  • Any updates?

Wednesday, February 14, 2018 8:25 AM