Automated SharePoint Restore RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I have a disaster recovery instance of a SharePoint Farm. I currently have a scheduled task to copy all production environment databases to a provisioned volume on the disaster recovery SharePoint SQL instance. I am now trying to automate a restore of the copied DBs to our disaster recovery SharePoint Farm instance such that there is no user intervention and all SharePoint sites are up to date by a day.

Please could anyone detail the best way to do this?

Thanks,

Dominic

Friday, March 4, 2016 4:44 PM

Answers

• Hi Trevor,

Thanks for the feedback.The always on feature in SQL only works with SQL Enterprise. Unfortunately, the environments in question has the Standard instance of SQL which does not support this feature. It's an alternative to this option I'm looking for.

Thanks,

Dominic

Standard supports 2 node AO FCI. It also supports Database Mirroring with full safety.

Trevor Seward

This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

• Proposed as answer by Victoria Xia Monday, April 11, 2016 1:57 AM
    • Marked as answer by Victoria Xia Monday, April 11, 2016 10:27 AM
    Saturday, March 5, 2016 4:39 PM
  • You could also consider log shipping. This article is specific to log shipping to an Azure recovery environment, but should be applicable to other environments too:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn743677.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

Monday, March 7, 2016 12:49 PM

All replies

• Hello,

Do you have many customizations in your environment(WSP)? If not, you could try an attach database script It could be a scheduled task and do the job.

Friday, March 4, 2016 8:25 PM
  • What I would recommend is to set up AlwaysOn Async to the remote site. You can then attach the databases in a read-only mode to your standby farm. From there, you can automate the process of bringing them online from a SQL perspective (no automatic failover with ASync).

Trevor Seward

This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Friday, March 4, 2016 8:42 PM
  • Hi,

The environment consist of 2 app and 2 web servers. Furthermore, There are 5 web applications of which all have managed path site collections with the exception of 1 that has a number of host site name collections.The SQL environment that host the DBs is a cluster of two nodes. As I am not adept with SQL scripting, creating one that work has been a bit of a work in progress.Could you help?

Thanks,

Dominic

Saturday, March 5, 2016 2:19 PM
  • Hi Trevor,

Thanks for the feedback.The always on feature in SQL only works with SQL Enterprise. Unfortunately, the environments in question has the Standard instance of SQL which does not support this feature. It's an alternative to this option I'm looking for.

Thanks,

Dominic

Saturday, March 5, 2016 2:25 PM
  • You could create an SQL job (using SQL Management Studio) in your production environment to backup the content databases and another in the DR environment to restore the content databases.
    Saturday, March 5, 2016 4:27 PM
  • Hi Trevor,

Thanks,

Dominic

Standard supports 2 node AO FCI. It also supports Database Mirroring with full safety.

Trevor Seward

Saturday, March 5, 2016 4:39 PM
  • Hi Trevor,

Thanks for the feedback. As the production environment SQL instance is already a two node clustered setup and the DR site where I'm trying to create further resilency is a single SQL instance, am I correct to set up mirroring between the DBs in the cluster and single instance  at DR site?

Thanks,

Dominic

Monday, March 7, 2016 11:47 AM
  • Thanks for this. I will try this option. The more options I try the better in choosing which one suits the environment I'm managing.

Thanks,

Dominic

Monday, March 7, 2016 11:48 AM
  • You could also consider log shipping. This article is specific to log shipping to an Azure recovery environment, but should be applicable to other environments too:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn743677.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

Monday, March 7, 2016 12:49 PM