none
DPM 2012 with VMM Helper Service RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have three System Center components

VMM 2012 version 3.1.6018

DPM 2012 Version 4.1.3333.0

SCCM 2012 version 5.0.7804.1000

The issue is that the connection to VMM crashes, even though the System  Center Virtual Machine Manager service is running. Because of this connection issues the backups on DPM fail as it uses the VMM helper client. When VMM is in this stage I am unable to connect to the box even with the VMM console. The only thing that resumes connectivity and backups is restarting the already running VMM service.

Anyone know what could be causing this? 

Monday, April 1, 2013 7:17 PM

Answers

• Just to finish this thread, Microsoft has fixed this issue with the release of SP1 Cumulative update 3.

http://blogs.technet.com/b/dpm/archive/2013/08/21/update-rollup-3-for-system-center-2012-data-protection-manager-service-pack-1-has-been-re-released.aspx

http://blogs.technet.com/b/dpm/archive/2013/07/30/important-update-on-dpm-2012-sp1-update-rollup-3-issues-and-workarounds.aspx

• Marked as answer by m3koval Monday, September 30, 2013 3:15 PM
    Thursday, September 26, 2013 6:15 PM

All replies

• I know of a similar issue where DPM will not do any backups if the VMM mobility feature is enabled but the SCVMM console does work. I have seen this on two different installations and opened a case with MS support. In my case I've been told that it is a problem with the DPM code but it will not be fixed for DPM 2012!!!! I'm hoping that a customer impact form I was asked to fill out will change their mind. Imagine a very cool feature you have been waiting for for a very long  time finally arrives and it is broken in such a way that if you enable it no backup works…

Can you provide the error details of a failed DPM backup of a virtual machine? I have seen two different error messages in my case.

Tuesday, April 2, 2013 3:53 PM
  • Type: Recovery point
    Description: DPM was unable to establish a connection with the Virtual Machine Manager (VMM) server.
    Server name: Server.domain.com
    Exception Message: Type: System.TimeoutException, Message: This request operation sent to net.tcp://dpm.domain.com:6070/VmmHelperService/TcpEndpoint did not receive a reply within the configured timeout (00:01:00).  The time allotted to this operation may have been a portion of a longer timeout.  This may be because the service is still processing the operation or because the service was unable to send a reply message.  Please consider increasing the operation timeout (by casting the channel/proxy to IContextChannel and setting the OperationTimeout property) and ensure that the service is able to connect to the client. (ID 33400)
    More information
    End time: 3/31/2013 9:32:03 PM
    Start time: 3/31/2013 9:31:03 PM
    Time elapsed: 00:01:00
    Data transferred: 0 MB
    Cluster node -
    Recovery Point Type Express Full
    Source details: \Backup Using Child Partition Snapshot\VM-Machine
    Protection group: IMSCL-PSVMs

It basically looses connectivity to vmm and the only fix is to restart the service.

Tuesday, April 2, 2013 8:24 PM
  • The error messages I get are a bit different:

"Could not connect to net.tcp://servername:6070/VmmHelperService/TcpEndpoint. The connection attempt lasted for a time span of 00:00:03.0471060. TCP error code 10061: No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it 1.2.3.4:6070. "

and

DPM was unable to establish a connection with the Virtual Machine Manager (VMM) server.

Server name: vmmserver

Exception Message: Type: System.Management.Automation.CmdletInvocationException, Message: Unable to connect to the VMM management server vmmserver . The attempt to connect timed out. (Error ID: 1603)

1) Verify that vmmserver is online and can be accessed from your computer.

2) If a firewall is enabled on vmmserver, ensure that it is not blocking requests for TCP port 8100. (ID 33400)

In both cases the SCVMM console works, your just have to restart the VMM helper service.

I would suggest that you open a case so that they look at this. In my case I've been told that I'm the first customer world wide to report this, hence no fix in DPM 2012. Strange enough is that in two competely different environments the exact same thing happens. VMM mobility: a total loss. And I have been pleading with the DPM Devs to implement a feature like this since a very long time and now I cannot use it.

Tuesday, April 2, 2013 8:35 PM
  • Thanks, as I am truly stomped as to what this could be. Ill look around and do some more testing.

So strange how they build in the VMM helper service so that DPM knows the location of a VM if it has moved and it just creates even more issues do the point where some nights all the backups fail. 
    Wednesday, April 3, 2013 4:56 PM
  • Hi, we're having the same discussion over here.
    Friday, April 26, 2013 4:50 PM
  • Just to finish this thread, Microsoft has fixed this issue with the release of SP1 Cumulative update 3.

http://blogs.technet.com/b/dpm/archive/2013/08/21/update-rollup-3-for-system-center-2012-data-protection-manager-service-pack-1-has-been-re-released.aspx

http://blogs.technet.com/b/dpm/archive/2013/07/30/important-update-on-dpm-2012-sp1-update-rollup-3-issues-and-workarounds.aspx

• Marked as answer by m3koval Monday, September 30, 2013 3:15 PM
    Thursday, September 26, 2013 6:15 PM