Arrows disappeared from explorer context menu after removing some system fonts from windows 10 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello

for some reasons  i removed some undesirable fonts in my windows 10.

i removed some from fonts folder & some others ( which were protected system fonts) via regedit tools as described in the following link :

Delete-Protected-System-Fonts-in-Windows

everything worked fine but now i have a problem : when i right click on desktop or any file or folder, the arrows are not shown.

i have a backup from my windows default installed fonts, but i don't want to restore them entirely, instead i want to restore the only font which caused this problem because I've no extra problems.

does anyone knows which font windows uses to show such arrows on explorer context menu ?

thanks in advanced 

• Edited by john.s2011 Sunday, April 22, 2018 6:51 AM
    Sunday, April 22, 2018 6:43 AM

All replies

• I believe 'Marlett' is the symbol font you're looking for.

Keith

Keith

Sunday, April 22, 2018 2:53 PM
  • Hi

i found marlett.ttf file in my backup folder and installed it but faced an strange problem :

although this font is installed, it's not shown in windows fonts folder. but when we try to re-install this font, system prompts describing this font is already installed. an unusual font is shown which i don't know what is that and is that relevant ?

also it exists on the relevant registry hive: Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Fonts

in addition, i rebooted the system, but the problem still exists & the Arrows are not shown in context menu.

any further help ?

Sunday, April 22, 2018 8:21 PM
  • Well, I'll start by saying I'm not sure, but here's what I see on my machine:

• Marlett doesn't show in my Fonts folder either, but is accessible through Character Map.
    • For me, it doesn't show under HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Fonts
    • I do see it listing the Registry value: Inactive Fonts found under:

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Font Management

That value contained a list of fonts that also included 8514oem:

So I think that may be the key that governs whether or not a font appears in the Fonts folder, but not necessarily whether or not it's available to the system.

So I'm not sure why your arrows are still missing. Do you have a restore point prior to your deletion?

Keith

Keith

Sunday, April 22, 2018 10:50 PM
  • Well, I'll start by saying I'm not sure, but here's what I see on my machine:

• Marlett doesn't show in my Fonts folder either, but is accessible through Character Map.
    • For me, it doesn't show under HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Fonts
    • I do see it listing the Registry value: Inactive Fonts found under:

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Font Management

That value contained a list of fonts that also included 8514oem:

So I think that may be the key that governs whether or not a font appears in the Fonts folder, but not necessarily whether or not it's available to the system.

So I'm not sure why your arrows are still missing. Do you have a restore point prior to your deletion?

Keith

Keith

thanks for time you spent on my problem.

i checked "Inactive Fonts" key in HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Font Management and i removed marllet & 8514oem and then i rebooted the system but didn't solve the problem.

I'm using windows 10 pro version 1709  build 16299.371 

i don't have any restore point and it is not reasonable for me to use restore point since i don't want to restore all system settings.

• Edited by john.s2011 Monday, April 23, 2018 6:09 AM
    Monday, April 23, 2018 6:08 AM
  • i installed another fresh windows 10 with the exact same version and build number.

i checked that windows fonts folder & registry.

Marllet font doesn't exist either in fonts folder or in the following registry hive

Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Fonts

its name is located in "inactive Fonts" key in HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Font Management"

but everything is ok in this newly installed windows 10 ! so it seem my problem has nothing to do with Marllet font !

Tuesday, April 24, 2018 10:52 AM
  • I think you're being fooled by the View imposed on the Fonts folder.

Try viewing the contents of C:\Windows\Fonts from an Administrator Command Prompt or Powershell:

==========================================

Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.16299.371]
    (c) 2017 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>cd ..\fonts

C:\Windows\Fonts>dir mar*
     Volume in drive C is Windows 10
     Volume Serial Number is 7680-0FAB

Directory of C:\Windows\Fonts

29/09/17  08:41 AM            27,652 marlett.ttf
    29/09/17  08:41 AM            27,652 marlett_0.ttf
                   2 File(s)         55,304 bytes
                   0 Dir(s)  491,006,189,568 bytes free

C:\Windows\Fonts>

=================================================

You will only have Marlett --- Marlett_0 was me experimenting...

If you're felling brave, try deleting it again...

Keith

Keith

Wednesday, April 25, 2018 11:05 AM
  •  

this is the content in my system, but i don't find why the problem still exists !!

Wednesday, April 25, 2018 1:39 PM
  • I thought it went away with the fresh install...

Are you talking about two different machines?

Keith

Keith

Wednesday, April 25, 2018 2:17 PM
  • I thought it went away with the fresh install...

Are you talking about two different machines?

Keith

Keith

yes the fresh install was on another machine.

the above pic was in my current problematic machine

Wednesday, April 25, 2018 2:45 PM
  • Well, the two copies of Marlett from my earlier screenshot differ in one key aspect; marlett.ttf was the original & marlett_0.ttf was created when I right-clicked on the original marrlett.ttf & selected Install. When checking Permissions via the Security tab in the Properties dialog, the original is owned by TrustedInstaller and the other by Administrators:

So, once again, open an Administrator Command Prompt and cd to c:\Windows\Fonts.

Type the following: ren desktop.ini desktop.bak

If the command fails, type: attrib -h -s desktop.ini

and then the ren command again. This will allow you to view the folder in Explorer without the special view.

Now, in Explorer, navigate to C:\Windows\Fonts, locate Marlett.ttf, right-click, select Properties -> Security tab -> click Advanced.

Click the Add button. Click Select a principal and type:

NT SERVICE\TrustedInstaller

Click OK, then give TrustedInstaller Full Control.

Then follow the instructions at this link to restore Ownership of the file to TrustedInstaller:

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/restore-trustedinstaller-as-owner-windows

Then, cross your fingers & Restart!

Keith

Keith

Thursday, April 26, 2018 2:19 AM
  • Well, the two copies of Marlett from my earlier screenshot differ in one key aspect; marlett.ttf was the original & marlett_0.ttf was created when I right-clicked on the original marrlett.ttf & selected Install. When checking Permissions via the Security tab in the Properties dialog, the original is owned by TrustedInstaller and the other by Administrators:

So, once again, open an Administrator Command Prompt and cd to c:\Windows\Fonts.

Type the following: ren desktop.ini desktop.bak

If the command fails, type: attrib -h -s desktop.ini

and then the ren command again. This will allow you to view the folder in Explorer without the special view.

Now, in Explorer, navigate to C:\Windows\Fonts, locate Marlett.ttf, right-click, select Properties -> Security tab -> click Advanced.

Click the Add button. Click Select a principal and type:

NT SERVICE\TrustedInstaller

Click OK, then give TrustedInstaller Full Control.

Then follow the instructions at this link to restore Ownership of the file to TrustedInstaller:

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/restore-trustedinstaller-as-owner-windows

Then, cross your fingers & Restart!

Keith

Keith

thank you very much for time you spent on my problem. I checked & found that all settings are as you described by default so no need to do above steps. but the problem still exists  !!
    Sunday, April 29, 2018 4:03 PM
  • Just to clarify, you're saying the file is owned by TrustedInstaller?

Keith

Keith

Monday, April 30, 2018 12:18 AM
  • yes it is by default and I didn't make any change.

Marllet.ttf properties

• Edited by john.s2011 Monday, April 30, 2018 8:50 AM
    Monday, April 30, 2018 8:48 AM