none
PWA Excel Services Reports... how to stop users from modifying the reports? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, 

I have some Excel Services reports in the Business Intelligence center in PWA.  My problem is that my users can update these reports just like I can, so unbeknownst to them, when they "Open in Excel" and make changes, they may be affecting others' views of the reports. 

I had our server admin make the BI center read-only for everyone except me, but that resulted in an error message upon opening the report and on data connection refresh.  "You do not have permissions to access the data connection file that is used in the workbook or the file does not exist."

Any ideas?  I'm trying to make it so that I can create and update the reports but no one else can make changes. This is Project Server 2010 and SharePoint 2010.  

Thanks!

Tuesday, October 15, 2013 2:50 PM

All replies

• Are you using Report viewers and authors AD group? . User from Report authors can only create reports

Hrishi Deshpande Senior Consultant

Tuesday, October 15, 2013 5:18 PM
  • The key here is to allow only you to open the report in Excel.  Other users will be able to open in Excel Services (i.e. read only) but will not be able to open in Excel (i.e. for editing).

As Hrishi recommends, get your self added to the Report Authors A/D group and everyone else to the Report Readers A/D group. (You'll need the assistance of your Domain Administrator.)

These groups should have been created during the install and configuration of your Reporting Services capability.

• Edited by Edward Hanna Tuesday, October 15, 2013 7:46 PM Remove Signature Line
    Tuesday, October 15, 2013 7:46 PM
  • Thanks for the advice, I'll pitch this to the server admin.  I had read about those groups but was told they only applied when hosting the reports in SharePoint (outside of PWA).  
    Wednesday, October 16, 2013 5:48 PM
  • Please refer following two TechNet's for more details

Section  "Accounts and groups for business intelligence"

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc197607(v=office.14).aspx

Configure reporting for Project Server 2010

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee662106(v=office.14).aspx

Hrishi Deshpande Senior Consultant

Wednesday, October 16, 2013 9:18 PM