XP SP3 and Broadcom 57xx based network adapters RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I've set up a NAP 802.1x test system with a Win2K8 NPS, Cisco 3560 switch configured for 802.1x auth, and XP SP3 clients. This works fine (the client is switched into the production or remediation vlans) except where the client is using a Broadcom 57xx based NIC.

With two different models of Broadcom based laptops and three iterations of the NIC driver, the client appears to go into an authentication loop. In the client's event log event 15504 'Wired 802.1X authentication was restarted' is posted every 15 seconds, and the PC does not get put into either the production or remediation vlans.

I see this exact behaviour was posted about last year in the thread http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winserverNAP/thread/ca05e8a3-6971-4e64-8135-0a39a38b6bb4 but no direct solution was posted.

Does anyone know of a fix for this issue. We have over 150 Broadcom based laptops we would like to use with NAP. Any PC I've tried based on Intel NICs seems to work fine with NAP.

Thanks
    • Edited by Agent7 Monday, June 1, 2009 11:26 AM
    Friday, May 29, 2009 1:59 PM

Answers

• RamaSubbu,

Thanks for the information. I just found that session timeout parameter in radius was set to 600 seconds. After disabling it (set to 0), the problem seemed to be gone. ;-)

Thanks a lot,
    Nitass

Thursday, June 11, 2009 3:26 AM

All replies

• For me it is sounding like Broadcom NIC has issue, did  you try getting the latest driver for these card from http://www.broadcom.com/support/ethernet_nic/downloaddrivers.php ?

Thanks
    -RamaSubbu SK
    Sorry! Microsoft doesn't own any liability & responsibility for any of my posting.
    Monday, June 8, 2009 8:46 PM
  • Hi there,

I have the same problem too. The dot3svc service was restarted every 10 minutes. I already updated Broadcom driver to the latest but it did not help.

Please advise.

Many thanks,
    Nitass

Tuesday, June 9, 2009 7:24 AM
  • Hi ,
       Did you try the steps mentioned in the KB article and lets us know ? How did you find that dot3svc service is restarted every 10 minutes ? from the eventlog ? If yes, can also verify how the service is stop from event log whether it is normal stop or abnormal stop (crash/hange) ?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/953650

Thanks
    -RamaSubbu SK

Sorry! Microsoft doesn't own any liability & responsibility for any of my posting.
    Tuesday, June 9, 2009 5:59 PM
  • RamaSubbu,

Thanks for the information. I just found that session timeout parameter in radius was set to 600 seconds. After disabling it (set to 0), the problem seemed to be gone. ;-)

Thanks a lot,
    Nitass

Thursday, June 11, 2009 3:26 AM
  • Wow!! Thanks a lot and thanks again for sharing your solution. Feel free contact us if you have any further questions.

Thanks
    -RamaSubbu SK
    Thursday, June 11, 2009 5:25 AM