very low copy/write speed when copying between different drives RRS feed

• Question

• my laptop crashed a month ago , and i had to get it formatted , after formatting the laptop it worked perfectly for 2-3 days but after that the performance of the laptop has gone very erratic , it hangs while playing high quality video file and the worst part is my copy speed has gone down considerably . earlier i used to get atleast 80-100 mb/sec copy speed while copying to different drives or to the external drives , but now i hardly get a speed of 15-20mb/sec in the beginning for few sec and then the speed goes down to 1-2mb/sec for the rest of copy , leading to a lot of frustration 

please provide a solution for this problem 

Monday, February 17, 2014 9:02 PM

Answers

• Hi,

According to your description,please let us know your disk type.SSD or HDD?

If you use a HDD,I suggest you try the follow steps to check the result.
    1.Use Disk detection tools to check if the disk has any bad track.
    2.Update your USB driver.

Also,we can optimize and defragment drive to see if it works.

Regards,

Kelvin hsu
    TechNet Community Support

• Edited by kelvin_hsu Wednesday, February 19, 2014 6:34 AM
    • Marked as answer by Brandon Records Wednesday, February 26, 2014 10:13 PM
    Wednesday, February 19, 2014 6:33 AM

All replies

• Hi,

According to your description,please let us know your disk type.SSD or HDD?

If you use a HDD,I suggest you try the follow steps to check the result.
    1.Use Disk detection tools to check if the disk has any bad track.
    2.Update your USB driver.

Also,we can optimize and defragment drive to see if it works.

Regards,

Kelvin hsu
    TechNet Community Support

• Edited by kelvin_hsu Wednesday, February 19, 2014 6:34 AM
    • Marked as answer by Brandon Records Wednesday, February 26, 2014 10:13 PM
    Wednesday, February 19, 2014 6:33 AM
  • To check your disk for errors you will want to right click the Start Button and select Command Prompt (Admin) from the menu of administrative tools. You will then want to enter the following, where x: is the volume to be checked for errors, and press enter to initiate disk checking. You will be asked if you would like to run on restart if the volume cannot be locked, most likely because the volume contains files in use by the operating system.

chkdsk x: /r

You will need to run this check on each volume in question to look for errors. More information on Chkdsk is available here on TechNet.

As Kelvin points out, you will also want to ensure that your system has the latest drivers for the USB chipset to ensure that there is no bandwidth bottleneck in communication between an external drive and internal.

If neither of the above resolve the issue, you may also want to consider using the diagnostic tools provided by the drive manufacturer to perform a more in depth analysis of the disk and to search for potential physical malfunction.

Brandon
    Windows Outreach Team- IT Pro
    The Springboard Series on TechNet

Wednesday, February 26, 2014 10:13 PM