When selecting open with, I see Virutal Application Launcher, instead of seeing Adobe Reader 9 RRS feed

• Question

• I created an App V app for Adober Reader 9.  I pushed it through SCCM and everything works great.  However, when I right click on a pdf file and do an open with (as Adobe Reader 8 is the defualt right now), I see Adober Reader 8 and  I see Virutal Application Launcher, instead of seeing Adobe Reader 9.  Can this be fixed, if so how?

Thanks

Wednesday, July 21, 2010 7:57 PM

Answers

All replies

• No this can't be fixed. Because the application is not installed, but instead the files are associated with the App-V client so that it can launch the correct application, the Virtual Application Launcher will be listed as the application to open the files.

This also means that users can't easily add additional file types to virtual applications.

• Proposed as answer by znack Monday, July 26, 2010 11:10 AM
    Wednesday, July 21, 2010 8:04 PM
  • So what if I did another appV app down the road for Adobe Reader 10 lets say.  How would the user be able to tell the difference between 9 and 10 if they both say Virtual Application Launcher?
    Wednesday, July 21, 2010 8:09 PM
  • The user may see two instances of the Virtual Application Launcher.

One way to provide control the default application for specific file types is to publish the same package both with and without file type associations and use different AD groups to control access to each application. 

If want a better user experience, I suggest getting a feature request into the App-V team via your TAM for a future version of App-V.

Wednesday, July 21, 2010 8:16 PM
  • So if I associate the file types to be tied to Adobe Reader 9, then that would become the defualt program though, correct?  If not, how can I make 8 still be the default program, and yet tie pdf file types to Adobe Reader 9 in hopes that Adobe Reader 9 would then show up?

Maybe I am not following you.

Wednesday, July 21, 2010 8:21 PM
  • Hello,

Yes.

See this kb-article on howto alter file type associations;

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307859

/Znack

Thursday, July 22, 2010 4:54 AM