Please would you help diagnose my crashing problem RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, this is my first post on this forum so if I have chosen the wrong section to post in my apologies.

I have been suffering crashes for a long time now but recently it has got out of hand, I'll start by listing the symptons and system details and then I have some reports from various programmes that may be of help.

The computer is a two and a half year old Dell Studio laptop running Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit

The crash usually occurs within 5-10 minutes after switching on and is fairly sudden; first one click might respond slowly, then maybe a windows won't close and then before long nothing works at all. I have no option but to hold the power button until it turns off. It can occur with any or no programs open, and even on the login screen if left for too long, it definitely seems time related. Sometimes the crash does not occur and the computer then runs fine, but this is becoming increasingly rare. My obvious thought would have been overheating, to the best of my knowledge there is adequate flow through the fan, although there is no way of accessing it to visually assess the situation.

The computer works in safe mode (with networking)

I have been using Open Hardware Monitor to read hardware temperatures and nothing seems out of the ordinary.

A Malwarebytes scan detected nothing.

I have tried using device manager to disable some of the devices that are disabled in safe mode such as the ATI Radeon 4570 graphics card but this did not help.

Recently, I used WhoCrashed, it reported 2 issues, but this is far less than the number of crashes I have suffered, I can provide the results if you like.

Thank you very much for taking the time to read through my information, I have been using AV Forums for a while to try and sort it out but thought it would be best to make a post on here too. If it is of help, here is the forum topic. Any further information that could be of help I am happy to provide where possible.

Look forward to hearing your thougts, thanks again.

• Edited by TullyK Wednesday, July 18, 2012 2:49 PM
    Wednesday, July 18, 2012 2:48 PM

All replies

• One of the things that will cause intermittent and random crashes is bad memory.

Do a memory check.  At the Start Menu, type memory and select Windows Memory Diagnostic.  When you restart your computer, the memory test will start.  Hit F1, select Extended, and hit F10 to apply.  The test will take some time.

This is not to say this is your problem, but you must rule out that possibility.

Wednesday, July 18, 2012 4:18 PM
  • I have just run this test and no problems were detected. Thank you for your help. I have also just reinstalled the graphics driver due to popular demand from the AV forum thread.
    Wednesday, July 18, 2012 10:48 PM
  • Hi,

You'd better run system with only one RAM for test, in the meantime, to update the drivers and BIOS to the latest. If the issue persists, to have a hardware troubleshooting. Do you have check the system event logs, are there some warning or error reports?

Open the Hardware and Devices troubleshooter

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Open-the-Hardware-and-Devices-troubleshooter

To clean boot system and troubleshoot again.

How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows Vista or in Windows 7

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Hope that helps.

Ivan-Liu

TechNet Community Support

Thursday, July 19, 2012 2:57 AM
  • Hello, I used the trouble shooter in normal mode and in safe mode (is this as effective as clean boot?) and both times the only thing detected was 'hardware changes might not have been detected'

There arelotsof errors in the event log, I have researched some of them and tried to sort out. Many relate to me using the power button to switch off when a freeze occurs but there are many others.

Thank you for your help

Friday, July 20, 2012 9:06 PM