DRMActivate troubles RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I'm building a service that's supposed to take normal docx files and output AD RMS protected files. At this moment DRMActivate is giving me major troubles because of its wild and erratic behavior. If the user that's running the service is the same as the user protecting the file then everything runs ok. Otherwise, two equally bad outcomes are possible.  Sometimes DRMActivate will (apparently) succeed but the entire publishing process will fail afterwards at the client licensor certificate acquisition phase with E_DRM_NEEDS_GROUP_IDENTITY_ACTIVATION. This tells me that DRMActivate lies sometimes and in fact doesn't perform the user activation . Other times DRMActivate is more truthful and will just bluntly return an E_DRM_AUTHENTICATION_FAILED hresult.

I'd also like to add that I've tried running the whole user/machine activation code in an impersonated context and that just causes the machine certificate enumeration phase to fail with E_NO_MORE_DATA after an apparently succesfull machine activation.

I've tested this behavior on both XP SP2 and Server 2008. My RMS SDK version is 1.0 SP2.

Alex

• Edited by _Al3x_ Thursday, January 12, 2012 3:26 PM
    Thursday, January 12, 2012 3:22 PM

Answers

• Hi Alex,

I am sorry this has been a challenge for you or others who have been using AD RMS 1.0 API. The good news is there is a new 2.0 version of the AD RMS SDK that we released later in 2012 after you posted your issue. It contains a much simpler and improved upon experience for getting RMS-enablement within your application.

Please check out the SDK content here and there is a link to full SDK download off this page as well.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/hh535290(v=vs.85).aspx

HTH,

Brad Mahugh
    Microsoft Corporation
    ------------------------
    This post is provided "AS IS" and confers no promises of current or future technical support for a specific support issue. Please use Microsoft product support if you need a service commitment for your current support case or issue.

Wednesday, April 3, 2013 5:01 PM