Unable to generate WIM file with DISM after installing the March 2017 Security Monthly Quality Rollup RRS feed

• Question

• I'm really have a time in my Windows 7 Embedded development environment. If it not WEDU, or the AnswerFile.xml, it's something else. This time the DISM command fails to build my WIM file. I discovered information about the log entry I receives in the diam.log.

DISM MSI Manager: PID=1248 Failed copying from C:\Windows\System32\Msi.dll to C:\$WINDOWS.~LS\PackageTemp\3a98f774-60af-4876-8e01-ac3e32caf53c\2C5C4631-A82B-4BE0-88F4-E01582D61C18\Msi.dll - CMsiApi::Initialize(hr:0x80070002)

My error is similar to the above statement which I found referenced at Use Log Files to Diagnose Image Builder Wizard Installation Problems. The missing Msi.dll appears to be the issue. The only thing is, the URL specifies the error but no solution is provided.

What possible steps can I take now?

• Edited by lintek Friday, March 17, 2017 6:41 PM
    Friday, March 17, 2017 6:39 PM

Answers

• Thanks for your replies. I've been doing research and asking questions to others about this issue. I've made a discovery that seems to be the solution. Given the fact that Microsoft has changed their methodology in the way they delivery security updates within their "cumulative" rollup packages. It seems our development team has to rethink our current method in how to apply the updates in our process to create the WIM file when dism is executed.

dism /image:mount /apply-unattend:AutoUnattend.xml

But when only the "latest" "security monthly quality rollup" (KB4019264), is included (while excluding all the previous rollups) in the DSSP1 folder, the creation of the WIM works as with the installation of the OS to the CF Card. The final test was booting up the OS on the CF Card, which was successful. I consider this a closed issue for now.

• Marked as answer by lintek Thursday, June 8, 2017 2:54 PM
    Thursday, June 8, 2017 2:54 PM

All replies

• I tried something that defies logic. I executed the dism command a second time after it failed. And the WIM file was generated. I can't figure why the second attempt would be successful since the log says the Msi.dll was missing in some location where it was needed. Apparent the problem is more than a missing dll file.
    Saturday, March 18, 2017 4:17 PM
  • Hi lintek,

Yes, as you said, the link provides the same error with you. In the Cbs_unattend.log, when scanning for errors, you will probably see the first two DISM error messages shown previously between the <Ignore these messages> tags. These can be ignored. The real “Error” would be displayed below.

I suppose that the real problem is that you install the updates. The security update resolves some vulnerabilities in Windows. After we apply all updates, it may get some issue.

Anyway, glad to hear that you could the DISM tool again.

If any further help needed, please feel free to post back.

Regards,

Carl

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, March 20, 2017 6:07 AM
  • Thanks for your replies. I've been doing research and asking questions to others about this issue. I've made a discovery that seems to be the solution. Given the fact that Microsoft has changed their methodology in the way they delivery security updates within their "cumulative" rollup packages. It seems our development team has to rethink our current method in how to apply the updates in our process to create the WIM file when dism is executed.

dism /image:mount /apply-unattend:AutoUnattend.xml

But when only the "latest" "security monthly quality rollup" (KB4019264), is included (while excluding all the previous rollups) in the DSSP1 folder, the creation of the WIM works as with the installation of the OS to the CF Card. The final test was booting up the OS on the CF Card, which was successful. I consider this a closed issue for now.

• Marked as answer by lintek Thursday, June 8, 2017 2:54 PM
    Thursday, June 8, 2017 2:54 PM