none
Changing background color

Question

• Hello, Everyone.

I've searched through the forums and haven't found anything that really answers my questions. If you have a link, feel free to provide.

I have a mixed environment with 2008 R2 and 2012 R2. I need to change the background color on specific machines. I've been playing around in my dev environment trying to get a GPO to apply to the systems that will change the background color. So far I have tried applying new wallpaper using a 1k colored swatch and set it to tile in User Config > Policies > Administrative Templates > Desktop > Desktop > Desktop Wallpaper. The path to the image is in sysvol\{domain}\scripts\Screen\{image name}.jpg. I linked the GPO to the OU containing the systems we needed this applied. Security filtering was set to Authenticated Users. It doesn't work on either version of server. I triple checked the path to make sure it was correct. Also I tried a *.bmp and that failed as well.

Then I tried to apply Computer Configuration > Policies > Administrative Templates > Control Panel > Personalization > Force a specific background and accent color. This one will only apply to the 2012R2 servers -- I know. I linked it to the needed OU, set the Security Filtering to apply to a select number of computer objects then rebooted them. This time the colors were applied, but as the background to the Start Screen.

I've even tried a loopback policy, but that didn't work either.

I seem to be thwarted at every turn with something that should be fairly simple. So, what am I missing?

::- T.I.A. -::

Monday, April 03, 2017 6:36 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,
    You could have a try to create an ADM file for background color and import it into GPMC, then configure GPO to push it out. You could refer to the details step by step from:
    http://serverfault.com/questions/213641/how-to-force-background-colour-with-gpo-centred-wallpaper
    Please Note: Since the website is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.
    Best Regards,
    Wendy Jiang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

• Marked as answer by CVDale Tuesday, April 04, 2017 2:49 PM
    Tuesday, April 04, 2017 3:17 AM
  • > I have a mixed environment with 2008 R2 and 2012 R2. I need to change the background color on specific machines. I've been playing around in my dev environment trying to get a GPO to apply to the systems that will change the background color. So far I have tried applying new wallpaper using a 1k colored swatch and set it to tile in /User Config > Policies > Administrative Templates > Desktop > Desktop > Desktop Wallpaper. /The path to the image is in /sysvol\{domain}\scripts\Screen\{image name}.jpg./ I linked the GPO to the OU containing the systems we needed this applied. Security filtering was set to Authenticated Users. It doesn't work on either version of server. I triple checked the path to make sure it was correct. Also I tried a *.bmp and that failed as well.

Computers don't apply user settings...

Tuesday, April 04, 2017 8:59 AM
  • Thanks for the link. It gave me the clue I needed to make my GPO work. I needed to remove my profile so the GPO would rebuild using the settings from the GPO to apply the wallpaper. 

::- T.I.A. -::

Tuesday, April 04, 2017 2:49 PM