Word saving as PDF shrinks document very small RRS feed

• Question

• I have a customer who uses Office 2007 and frequently saves Word documents as a PDF. This has been working fine until today. Now when he saves as a PDF and opens the PDF it is shrunk very small so the magnification in Adobe Reader must be increased by a great amount.

PDF documents that he gets from elsewhere that come to him as a PDF open just fine. So it's only documents he saves as a PDF that this happens to. I have never encountered this or heard of this before.

Any thoughts as to why this is happening and more importantly how to fix it?

Jonathan

Tuesday, October 25, 2016 3:02 PM

Answers

• I think it has to do wit the May 2016 "Print to PDF add-in".

I have also been having this problem and the only way I could find to deal with it was to print to a different PDF writer and use a different PDF reader.  Which is not exactly a "solution".

I have no idea what the cause was. When I was finally able to contact the customer again he said that the problem had apparently resolved itself as everything was now back to the way it was and working normally.

Jonathan

• Marked as answer by SmallBizAdmin Monday, January 16, 2017 5:25 PM
    Thursday, December 8, 2016 2:16 PM
  • Just so everyone knows, I finally got in touch with the user yesterday and he told me the problem was fixed. He thought I had fixed it because he had received the email I sent him asking him when I could access his computer to work on the problem. But since he never replied I never did anything.

How he got the idea that me asking when I could get on his computer meant that I had fixed the problem (even though he never gave the permission) and then never notified him I had fixed it is beyond me. And I was less than thrilled to have never in more than a week received a reply from him to my multiple emails and voicemails to tell me the problem was resolved. Oh well.

Thanks to all here for the help even though it turned out not to be needed. :)

Jonathan

• Marked as answer by SmallBizAdmin Wednesday, November 9, 2016 7:59 PM
    Wednesday, November 9, 2016 7:59 PM

All replies

• I had the exact same thing happen to me last week.

After searching for an answer for ages online I finally found a way to resolve it. Going into "view" and selecting "one page" followed by "100%".

Unfortunately this week the same error has started happening and this solution no longer works.

This must be an issue with a recent update as I'm struggling to find answers online.

Wednesday, October 26, 2016 10:41 AM
  • I still haven't been able to resolve this which is causing us all sorts of problems.

Any suggestions please?

Thursday, October 27, 2016 9:44 AM
  • 2 weeks of not being able to resolve this issue I am starting to have to assume this is a compatibility issue between Office 2007 and the more recent Windows 10 updates, although from what I have read they should be compatible?

Monday, October 31, 2016 2:28 PM
  • SO I found a way, hopefully I can realy it correctly. Instead of selecting save as, select Print, then print again from that box, and then from the drop down menu (of print options) select Microsoft print to PDF.

Hope this helps!

Thursday, November 3, 2016 5:54 AM
  • Just so everyone knows, I finally got in touch with the user yesterday and he told me the problem was fixed. He thought I had fixed it because he had received the email I sent him asking him when I could access his computer to work on the problem. But since he never replied I never did anything.

How he got the idea that me asking when I could get on his computer meant that I had fixed the problem (even though he never gave the permission) and then never notified him I had fixed it is beyond me. And I was less than thrilled to have never in more than a week received a reply from him to my multiple emails and voicemails to tell me the problem was resolved. Oh well.

Thanks to all here for the help even though it turned out not to be needed. :)

Jonathan

• Marked as answer by SmallBizAdmin Wednesday, November 9, 2016 7:59 PM
    Wednesday, November 9, 2016 7:59 PM

I have also been having this problem and the only way I could find to deal with it was to print to a different PDF writer and use a different PDF reader.  Which is not exactly a "solution".

Thursday, December 8, 2016 5:03 AM

I have no idea what the cause was. When I was finally able to contact the customer again he said that the problem had apparently resolved itself as everything was now back to the way it was and working normally.

Jonathan

• Marked as answer by SmallBizAdmin Monday, January 16, 2017 5:25 PM
    Thursday, December 8, 2016 2:16 PM
  • Helped, thanks a lot!
    • Proposed as answer by ddis Monday, January 16, 2017 5:07 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by ddis Monday, January 16, 2017 5:07 PM
    Thursday, January 5, 2017 10:08 PM
  • Re-download microsoft save to pdf plugin. solved the issue for me. 
    • Proposed as answer by ddis Monday, January 16, 2017 5:08 PM
    Monday, January 16, 2017 5:08 PM
  • I recently received a Windows 10 laptop. Installed Windows Office 2007 and was having the same issue of it saving PDF files as a tiny image in the upper left corner of the page.

Your solution worked like a charm.

Thank you :)

Wednesday, January 25, 2017 11:15 PM
  • Dear Kieran232323

Your method worked, however I think I have found a better fix...

Go to Word > Start Menu > Programs > Microsoft Office

Right click on Microsoft Office Word 2007, click on Troubleshoot compatibility (which opens Program Compatibility Troubleshooter), choose Try Recommended Settings, click Test the Program, Next, Yes, Save these Settings for this Program.

Have a blessed year,

Joy

Thursday, January 26, 2017 1:26 PM
  • It worked!

You're my hero. :-)

Tuesday, February 7, 2017 1:45 AM
  • It stopped working after one day.

I'm about to cry. :-(

I have a report to submit.

Tuesday, February 7, 2017 1:40 PM
  • I am having the same problem with PDF documents but it's not just in word.  At work, we 2 software programs that we generate labels from.  The programs create PDF documents but because they are 'shrunken', they will not line up with the mailing labels.  I tested it by saving a word doc as a PDF and again, it shrunk the document.  Any suggestions?

Thank you.

Saturday, February 18, 2017 2:38 AM
  • I got the same problem while I was covering a word and excel file into pdf, and I think I have the solution.

Go to File > Option> Advanced > UNCLICK the box "scale content for A1 or 8.5 x 11" paper sizes" 

problem solved. 

• Edited by kakahk Wednesday, December 13, 2017 9:49 AM appear garbled last time
    • Proposed as answer by STEVEK7777 Monday, September 3, 2018 5:55 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by STEVEK7777 Monday, September 3, 2018 5:55 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Seretna Friday, February 1, 2019 9:07 PM
    Wednesday, December 13, 2017 9:46 AM
  • It is often a formatting problem with your printing setup. I was using open office at the time this happened to me, and the solution was to go to: Page Preview - Format Page - Sheet tab - Scale (bottom of menu) - Change it to reduce/enlarge printout. It was set as fit to a single page (which was putting all my document in 1 page.

Hope this helps!

Monday, September 3, 2018 5:58 PM
  • Good. It was an exact solution to my problem. Thanks.
    • Edited by Seretna Friday, February 1, 2019 9:10 PM
    Friday, February 1, 2019 9:09 PM