Exchange 2003/Outlook 2007 Calendar Sharing Busy Issue RRS feed

• Question

• I have a single user on an Exchange 2003 server running Windows Server 2003 that periodically has her calendar not share with other people.  The user is running Outlook 2007 and is one of the few users that still has 2007 (note we're updating and cleaning up old licensing).  This user spends a lot of time in front of her calendar and shares it with a lot of people. 

Every so often people can't view her calendar despite having permissions to it.  It's hit and miss who can/cant' see it.  If you view her Outlook calendar permissions the user permissions are there for the users that aren't working.  If you try to change the permissions or add/delete users it won't make a difference.  If I make a calendar request from the user seeing the Busy message the calendar will become available again when the other user accepts it.  So the only way to reset the permissions is for the user to make another request for a calendar they already have permissions too.

I can't find any error messages or access denied errors.  As far as I can see everything is fine from the server and permissions standpoint.  This is the only user with this problem.  Coincidentally she spends a lot of time on her Calendar and keeps a lot of information in there so that may be part of it too.  Searching online has shown me a lot of quirks in Outlook Calendars but nothing to fix this sporadic problem.

I have a few options I can work with. 

- I can and will get this user Outlook 2010 soon.  It would be nice if that update would resolve the problem. 

- I can completely rebuild her AD profile from scratch to remake everything.  I already removed and rebuilt her mailbox and the problem eventually came back.

- I'm slated to get a new server in January 2014, most likely 2008 R2 with the latest Exchange.  I don't know if I can deploy server 2012 yet and may just skip it hoping the next release is better. Note that I do have business licensing so I can install Outlook 2013 when we upgrade to the latest Exchange.  If all else fails the updated server should fix it?

Another tech I know told me he thinks her Calendar is too big but I can't find anything that would denote that being the problem.  Any other ideas on how to troubleshoot this problem would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

-- Joe

• Edited by hinklejoe Tuesday, August 20, 2013 1:51 PM Typo
    Tuesday, August 20, 2013 1:49 PM

Answers

• Hi Joe,

According to your description, I understand that a user share the calendar to a lot of other people. However, some of them cannot access the user’s calendar.

Based on my research, this issue may occur because of a limit on the number of items that clients can open. The user uses her calendar frequently and shares with too many people. If so, an Event log may be generate in her mailbox server.

I suggest that we can check whether there is an Event 9646 error of Application logs in her mailbox server. If there is, we can change regedit on the Exchange 2003 computer to resolve this issue. For more information, please click the following KB:

Event ID 9646 is logged when you try to send many messages in Exchange Server 2003

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/830836/en-us

If you have any question, please do not hesitate to tell me.

Thanks,

Winnie Liang

• Marked as answer by hinklejoe Wednesday, August 21, 2013 4:27 PM
    Wednesday, August 21, 2013 12:39 PM

All replies

• Hi Joe,

According to your description, I understand that a user share the calendar to a lot of other people. However, some of them cannot access the user’s calendar.

Based on my research, this issue may occur because of a limit on the number of items that clients can open. The user uses her calendar frequently and shares with too many people. If so, an Event log may be generate in her mailbox server.

I suggest that we can check whether there is an Event 9646 error of Application logs in her mailbox server. If there is, we can change regedit on the Exchange 2003 computer to resolve this issue. For more information, please click the following KB:

Event ID 9646 is logged when you try to send many messages in Exchange Server 2003

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/830836/en-us

If you have any question, please do not hesitate to tell me.

Thanks,

Winnie Liang

• Marked as answer by hinklejoe Wednesday, August 21, 2013 4:27 PM
    Wednesday, August 21, 2013 12:39 PM
  • I've actually seen this error pop up every few months with this user.  Whenever this error occurs the users Outlook won't connect to the server until the Information Store refreshes (or I reset it if she calls me).  I've never been able to link it to problems with her Calendar though.

I've looked at this article before but didn't want to increase the size too far since it's an old server and I don't want to over do it.  This user has a bad tendency to spend too much time in her calendar anyways so I can use this as an excuse to have HR clean up her act.  I'll start with a non technical solution and get her to quit putting so much in her calendar.  I'll continue to adjust the limits after she cleans her Calendar up.

Thank you very much for the response Winnie.  It's great to finally get some clarification on this issue.

Wednesday, August 21, 2013 4:38 PM