Windows Vista installation ERROR RRS feed

• Question

• System Specs:

Dell Inspiron 1545

4GB RAM

Intel Core 2 Duo @ 2.0Ghz

I recently purchased a new HDD, a WD Scorpio Black WD3200BEKT, for my computer, and i am unable to install Vista.  I have a green Vista Home Basic 32bit reinstallation DVD, and the install goes fine until it restarts.  Then, it sits for hours on "Completing Installation..."  I put my HD in another computer in my house, a Dell Inspiron 1525, and the install finises, and I managed to boot it on my 1545.  When I booted, it installed drivers for my CPU and other things, and said to restart to complete installation.  upon restarting, the computer would no boot.  the boot progress bar moves, then freezes every few seconds, then repeats.  i attempted to install with the red Vista Home Basic DVD that came with the 1525, but it says error 0x80070017.  I then thought to install XP, and upgrade from that.  While the XP installation was loading the files, i got a blue screen of death and the computer restarted.

I am unsure as to if this is a Windows problem, or perhaps it is a hardware problem with my computer.  I called Tech. support at Dell, and was placed on hold for ten minutes, to be connected with an Indian whom I could hardly understand.  I was then told that if I wanted support, I would need to redeem my warranty for $200+ dollars.  I am not going to spend that.  If this issue is not resolved, I AM SWITCHING TO HP!!!

I have lost all confidence in Dell.  This is my fourth HD in the two years that I have had my computer, and it has been nothing but problematic.

I will GREATLY APPRECIATE any and all help that you all can provide me.

Thank you so much, in advance!!!

P.S. I have nothing against Indians!!! It is just frustrating when you are having a problem with a computer, are angry enough, and are then trying to get help from someone you can hardly understand!

Wednesday, December 14, 2011 3:46 AM

Answers

• The error 0x80070017 means "ERROR_CRC Data error (cyclic redundancy check)" which states that the files that are being copied from the disk are not making it to the hard drive with the same structure.

It can be caused by the corrupted DVD, or the DVD drive. 

What about to copying the installation files to a USB stick (4gb or bigger) and performing a USB install? See Your Solutions - Install Vista in a Flash

Sabrina

TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Sabrina Shen Tuesday, December 20, 2011 2:28 AM
    Thursday, December 15, 2011 6:44 AM

All replies

• The error 0x80070017 means "ERROR_CRC Data error (cyclic redundancy check)" which states that the files that are being copied from the disk are not making it to the hard drive with the same structure.

It can be caused by the corrupted DVD, or the DVD drive. 

What about to copying the installation files to a USB stick (4gb or bigger) and performing a USB install? See Your Solutions - Install Vista in a Flash

Sabrina

TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Sabrina Shen Tuesday, December 20, 2011 2:28 AM
    Thursday, December 15, 2011 6:44 AM
  • I had a customer with the same problem. Cannot install/reinstall Windows Vista 32-bit on his Dell Inspiron 1525. I checked the memory, the HDD, CPU, Motherboard, DVD and everything seemed to be working. Tried different installation DVD-s, tried even installing Windows 7 and the same blue screen. Tried on different HDDs and still the same problem.

Then he told me, the laptop stopped working after some updates and it crashed. He talk to Dell support and they sent him a new HDD (well done Dell support).

After he told me that, I figured there might have been a BIOS update. It turned the be true - he upgraded the BIOS to A17. Went trough the BIOS settings / Pressing F2 after restart.

Under "Onboard Devices/Flash Cache Module" - switched to OFF;

Under "Onboard Devices/SATA Operation" - switched to ATA instead of AHCI. Then click YES on the next screen.

Esc/ Save/Exit.

Rebooted the laptop, put the DVD and voala! Problem solved.

I've had another customer before and could not install VISTA on an HP desktop. It turned it was the same problem - the BIOS.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Izzy

www.yourcomputerhealer.com

• Proposed as answer by Izzy Merjan Wednesday, January 4, 2012 6:55 PM
    • Edited by Izzy Merjan Wednesday, January 4, 2012 6:59 PM
    Wednesday, January 4, 2012 6:54 PM
  • Hello : I get the same thing, then they don't email you or nothing to let you know that your warranty is about to expire, then want you to pay $240.00 for help....I'm about to leave DELL as well cause I am so tired of this sh*t with DELL...I am having the same problems you are having, I thought Dell was good cause I have been with Dell for 5 yrs, but now they are full of sh*t. They don't want to help us they just want money.
    Thursday, October 9, 2014 3:46 PM