none
Migrated Window server 2008 R2 DC to Windows Server 2012 R2

Question

• Hi,

I have migrated windows server 2008  R2 DC to windows Server 2012 R2, is it feasible   to upgrade manually to raise domain level first and then forest level .

Regards,

Mohammed Ghouse

Wednesday, May 23, 2018 10:04 PM

All replies

• Yes, it is feasible if the 2008 R2 is now gone. Some info here.

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/askds/2011/06/14/what-is-the-impact-of-upgrading-the-domain-or-forest-functional-level/

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Wednesday, May 23, 2018 10:55 PM
  • Hi,

When i try to raise manually i getting following error. Can you please assist me ?

D:\support\adprep>adprep /domainprep
    Domain-wide information has already been updated.
    [Status/Consequence]
    Adprep did not attempt to rerun this operation.

Regards,

Mohammed Ghouse

Wednesday, May 23, 2018 11:14 PM
  • Adprep just prepares the domain to accept the new domain controller with higher operating system version, it does not affect DFL/FFL When you dcpromo'd the 2012 R2 adprep was already performed as an integrated part of domain controller promotion.

More info here to raise DFL / FFL

https://www.petri.com/raise-active-directory-domain-and-forest-functional-levels-using-powershell

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Wednesday, May 23, 2018 11:25 PM
  • Hi,

I am getting below error

Thursday, May 24, 2018 12:54 AM
  • Hi,

I am getting below error

What error? What action causes error?

Thursday, May 24, 2018 12:56 AM
  • Hi,

I getting this below error.

PS C:\Windows\system32> Set-ADDomainMode –identity corp.aryaka.com -DomainMode Windows2012R2Domain

Confirm
    Are you sure you want to perform this action?
    Performing the operation "Set" on target "DC=corp,DC=aryaka,DC=com".
    [Y] Yes  [A] Yes to All  [N] No  [L] No to All  [S] Suspend  [?] Help (default is "Y"): y
    Set-ADDomainMode : A referral was returned from the server
    At line:1 char:1
    + Set-ADDomainMode –identity corp.aryaka.com -DomainMode Windows2012R2Domain
    + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        + CategoryInfo          : ResourceUnavailable: (corp.aryaka.com:ADDomain) [Set-ADDomainMode], ADReferralException
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : ActiveDirectoryServer:8235,Microsoft.ActiveDirectory.Management.Commands.SetADDomainMode

PS C:\Windows\system32>

Thursday, May 24, 2018 3:00 AM
  • Try in search box 'Powershell' then right-click and run as administrator

Thursday, May 24, 2018 3:07 AM
  • I run powershell as administrator
    Thursday, May 24, 2018 3:09 AM
  • Also make sure you target the PDC emulator

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/ie/en-US/59784ce8-c691-406f-b88d-1f22e2f5a26c/setaddomainmode-resourceunavailable?forum=winserverDS

Thursday, May 24, 2018 3:15 AM
  • yes i tried targeting PDC

PS C:\Windows\system32> Set-ADDomainMode –identity corp.aryaka.com -DomainMode Windows2012R2Domain -server mil-dc-3

Confirm
    [Y] Yes  [A] Yes to All  [N] No  [L] No to All  [S] Suspend  [?] Help (default is "Y"): y
    Set-ADDomainMode : The functional level of the domain (or forest) cannot be raised to the requested value, because there exist one or more domain controllers in the domain (or forest) that are at a lower incompatible functional level
    + Set-ADDomainMode –identity corp.aryaka.com -DomainMode Windows2012R2Domain -serv ...
    + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        + CategoryInfo          : NotSpecified: (corp.aryaka.com:ADDomain) [Set-ADDomainMode], ADException
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : ActiveDirectoryServer:8568,Microsoft.ActiveDirectory.Management.Commands.SetADDomainMode

Thursday, May 24, 2018 3:38 AM
  • I'd probably verify domain health is 100%

Thursday, May 24, 2018 3:39 AM
  • I tried in PDC as well

PS C:\Windows\system32> Set-ADDomainMode –identity corp.aryaka.com -DomainMode Windows2012R2Domain

Confirm
    Set-ADDomainMode : The functional level of the domain (or forest) cannot be raised to the requested value, because
    there exist one or more domain controllers in the domain (or forest) that are at a lower incompatible functional level
    + Set-ADDomainMode –identity corp.aryaka.com -DomainMode Windows2012R2Domain
    + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        + CategoryInfo          : NotSpecified: (corp.aryaka.com:ADDomain) [Set-ADDomainMode], ADException
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : ActiveDirectoryServer:8568,Microsoft.ActiveDirectory.Management.Commands.SetADDomainMode

Thursday, May 24, 2018 3:40 AM
  • I'd check if there is some lingering cleanup that needs to be done.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/previous-versions/windows/it-pro/windows-server-2008-R2-and-2008/cc816907(v=ws.10)#bkmk_graphical

Thursday, May 24, 2018 4:03 AM
  • why should we do clean up
    Thursday, May 24, 2018 6:03 AM
  • You'll want to first remove all DCs lower than 2012 R2. If there are instances of old server is present in active directory database which has been removed from network and all existing DCs are 2012 R2 then you need to do metadata cleanup.

Thursday, May 24, 2018 12:18 PM