Screensaver implications. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I've set a group policy preference to turn off the monitor after 5 minutes and the screensaver is enabled to run after 20 minutes with password protection.

There haven't been any issues but with a few users that work with a GIS application.

This GIS application has to draw a huge image and it takes more than the 20 minutes so the screensaver is launched. Whe they come back and unlock the computer, the GIS application has to redraw and that's very annoying.

What are the implications of running the screensaver?, does the SO shutdown the display adapter?

Thanks in advance.

Wednesday, April 11, 2012 4:18 PM

Answers

• Can you put those few users in their own Organizational Unit and just not use that group policy? and then use a new group policy for those users so it turns the screensaver on after 40 minutes instead
    Wednesday, April 11, 2012 6:21 PM

All replies

• Can you put those few users in their own Organizational Unit and just not use that group policy? and then use a new group policy for those users so it turns the screensaver on after 40 minutes instead
    Wednesday, April 11, 2012 6:21 PM
  • Of course I can do that, but I'm asking the question as the policy has to be applied to all the users with no exception.

We prefer to find out why the screensaver is stopping the process.

Thank you.

Thursday, April 12, 2012 5:37 AM
  • Its how a computer works.

When you open an image, it has to be drawn, the larger the image the more time it takes to draw. When a screensaver takes effect, it wipes the screen and keeps a constant image moving across it, or keeps it completely black - which is why its called a Screen Saver, it's purpose is to keep an image from being burned into the display. When you go back to the image, it has to re-draw it all over again.

My suggestion is to either follow the Ang's advice, and make an exception for the few people who need it, or you can upgrade the machine and the video card with faster CPU, GPU, and more RAM all around so make for faster drawing time, or you can just live with the annoyance. We all have to live with those unfortunately...

Friday, April 13, 2012 8:25 PM
  • I thought that the image or whatever present in the desktop was cached in the RAM and later was redrawn in a quick fashion.

In my opinion, the best choice would be to improve the computer resources than do some exceptions.

Thank you.

Monday, April 16, 2012 6:11 AM
  • that would depend if you have the money, and want to spend it.

If the current machines are performing as expected, without complaints from the end user and the only issue is the screensaver -most companies will not approve the expense for an upgrade, when a simple change of policy will resolve the screensaver issue.

RAM is used for the software running on the machine, if you have a dedicated video card then the RAM on the card is used for graphics. If you don't have a dedicated card then you have Shared RAM but only about 128MB max for graphics, either way I don't think any of the drawings are cached, I'm pretty sure the RAM on the card is just to assist in the processing and display of the graphics at that very second.

Monday, April 16, 2012 12:46 PM