none
Why only 2 automatic groups re: Configure Business Intelligence Center Access? RRS feed

• Question

• Per the link http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee662106.aspx#AccountsAndSecurity:

"Users who have accounts in PWA are automatically granted access to the Business Intelligence Center as follows:

• Team Members: Members of the Team Members group in PWA are automatically added to the Team members group (Microsoft Project Server) SharePoint Group in the Business Intelligence Center.
    • Project Managers: Members of the Project Managers group in PWA are automatically added to the Project Managers Group (Microsoft Project Server) SharePoint Group in the Business Intelligence Center."

Can someone please help me understand why only the two groups are automatically added?  What about Resource Managers, Executives, etc.?

Thanks in advance!

Thursday, May 31, 2012 6:00 PM

All replies

• Hi Leslie1234567,

Only Microsoft can answer that question, and I was surprised to ready the post.  Note that these SharePoint permissions are different to the Project Server permissions.

On the following website, it shows the Administrators, Execs, Portfolio Managers and PMs have access to the View the BI link, and in my experience, these users have access to the reports defined in the BI link.  

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc197658#section2

Furthermore, access to the link can be configured, and then permissions to the BI  site can be individually set.

Ben Howard [MVP] blog | web

Thursday, May 31, 2012 9:26 PM
  • Hi Leslie1234567,

please be aware that there are two kinds of groups: SharePoint and Project Server groups.

In Project Server, you have many (Project Server) groups and create new groups, and users can be in many groups at once.

On SharePoint level in the /PWA site collection, you have only 4 (SharePoint) groups, and every user is in only 1 group. The groups are as follows:
    Readers < Team Members < Project Managers < Web Administrators. For every user, Project Server checks their (Project Server) permissions and "calculates" which of these for SharePoint groups is fitting for that user. The user is then placed into that SharePoint group.

Unfortunately, I cannot tell you exactly which criteria are used, but in sensible permission settings, PWA Team Members get placed in the SP Team Members group, PWA Project/Portfolio Managers become SP Project Managers and PWA Admins become SP Web Administrators. So, your Executives, Resource Managers, etc. are not forgotten, they are simply lumped up with (usually) Project Managers on the SharePoint permission level.

In your custom installation, check the SharePoint groups in /PWA (via Site Permissions or Groups) to see who has which SP permission level.

Kind regards,
    Adrian

Friday, June 1, 2012 6:50 PM