there named SharePoint_AdminContent_XXX, SharePoint_Config_XXX,
    ShareWebDb.mdf, ShareWebDb_log.ldf, WSS Search_XXX.mdf, and
    WSS_Search_XXX.ldf.
    This client is not using Sharepoint and I'm not familiary with
    the workings of SharePoint myself, but it has a ton of space allocated
    to DB Log Files, and a little for DB Primary Files.  Can I safely remove
    these monster files if the client isn't using SharePoint.  One of the
    DB Log Files is 32Gb by itself.  Also, can I turn off services so that
    it quits creating log files if Sharepoint isn't being used?

Thanks,

Mike
    Friday, July 26, 2013 5:34 PM

Answers

• Hi Mike,

Thanks for the response,

as far that I know, if you back up your database, it will be compressed files, so it may not as the same as the actual space that was being used.

removing sharepoint from sbs, is not recommended method, as it was by design to be bundled with it. we cannot guarantee if should there is any issues in the future with your environment design by doing the removal process.

the reason to do back up in the first place, is because the method include some steps that modified your database. as consideration that database is the core of all of your data, so if may have issues on the process, you may able to restore your database.

Regards,
    Aries
    Microsoft Online Community Support

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Tuesday, July 30, 2013 2:24 AM

All replies

• Hi,
    For this issue, I’m trying to involve someone familiar with this topic to further look at it.
    Thanks,
    Qiao
    Forum Support
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Qiao Wei
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, July 29, 2013 7:18 AM
  • Hi Mike,

Great question!

as we know sbs, is already bundled with the sharepoint 3.0 and sql, so those logs are already there.

but we can reduce the size as workaround so, it may save your space.

please check this article: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2000544

if you may have the free time you may check this example too: http://ali.vg/2011/03/sharepoint-config-database-log-file-too-big/

Regards,
    Aries

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Monday, July 29, 2013 9:13 AM
  • Aries, the KB 2000544 doesn't appear to work anymore.
    Monday, July 29, 2013 12:50 PM
  • Aries,

It mentions doing a backup of the logs first, is there any way of knowing what the size of the back up, is it a percentage of the log size or the same size?  Since we don't use Sharepoint, do I really need to back it up, will it be detrimental to my server if I bypass the back of the logs?

Thanks,

Mike

Monday, July 29, 2013 2:07 PM
  • Hi Mike,

Thanks for the response,

as far that I know, if you back up your database, it will be compressed files, so it may not as the same as the actual space that was being used.

removing sharepoint from sbs, is not recommended method, as it was by design to be bundled with it. we cannot guarantee if should there is any issues in the future with your environment design by doing the removal process.

the reason to do back up in the first place, is because the method include some steps that modified your database. as consideration that database is the core of all of your data, so if may have issues on the process, you may able to restore your database.

Regards,
    Aries

Tuesday, July 30, 2013 2:24 AM