New Outlook 2013 Installation - How to configure for default pop email and access exchange 2003 server for shared folders only RRS feed

• Question

• I have successfully installed and configured outlook 2013 to access my pop.integra.net email accounts.  We have an 2003 exchange server we use for shared folders which I am having difficulty accessing.

My preference would be to set up my access to the exchange server and use the same data folders for email as are in use for my pop email account.  In outlook 2003 this was simple, but in 2007 on up it seems this feature has been hobbled.  Is there a workaround to get both accounts to use the same database?

Next issue is if I use the Mail client wizard under Control Panel to set up access to the exchange server - everything looks fine but when launching outlook I receive the following 2 error messages:

"The resource that you are trying to use is located on an unsupported version of Microsoft Exchange.  Contact your e-mail administrator for assistance."

"Cannot start Microsoft Outlook. Cannot open the Outlook window. The set of folders cannot be opened.  Your Microsoft Exchange administrator has blocked the version of Outlook that your are using.  Contact your administrator for assistance."

Obviously the optimal solution is to upgrade the Exchange Server - assuming that is not an option - are there any workarounds?

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Tuesday, February 18, 2014 3:24 PM

Answers

• Hi

I do not believe that 2003 is supported with Outlook 2013 anymore. 2003 uses a type of authentication that is no longer supported properly. Outlook Anywhere is now 'required', kind of. I'm afraid that upgrading Exchange will be the best route for you, or you need an older version of Office.

Thanks

Ed

Tuesday, February 18, 2014 5:04 PM
  • You can upgrade to Exchange 2010 from Exchange 2003, but not Exchange 2013.  To get to Exchange 2013, you have to upgrade to Exchange 2007 or Exchange 2010 first.

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."

Tuesday, February 18, 2014 5:24 PM
  • The original question was "can outlook2013 be configured to interface with exchange2003 for shared folder access"

Answer: no

Explanation: Outlook2013 uses a different communications protocol and cannot interface with Exchange2003.

Workaround: DON'T BUY INTO THE MS PROPAGANDA AND GO WITH OFFICE 2007 INSTEAD.

Office 2007 is supported under Windows 8 and will connect to Exchange 2003.

• Marked as answer by pkarchitects Monday, March 3, 2014 3:11 PM
    Monday, March 3, 2014 3:11 PM

All replies

• Outlook doesn't serve two masters well, it never has.  You should have all your mail delivered to Exchange.

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."

Tuesday, February 18, 2014 4:26 PM
  • I am aware of that - but even so....from the error messages I received it does not appear that if I only had exchange configured that it would work anyway so how does that help me?

I need to know if there is a work around to use exchange 2003 with outlook 2013.

I don't need exchange for ANYTHING but SHARED FOLDERS.

Actual help would be more useful.

Tuesday, February 18, 2014 4:55 PM
  • Exchange 2003 does not work with Outlook 2013.  Upgrade Exchange or downgrade Outlook.

• Proposed as answer by Ed CrowleyMVP Wednesday, February 19, 2014 6:46 PM
    Tuesday, February 18, 2014 5:02 PM
  • Hi

I do not believe that 2003 is supported with Outlook 2013 anymore. 2003 uses a type of authentication that is no longer supported properly. Outlook Anywhere is now 'required', kind of. I'm afraid that upgrading Exchange will be the best route for you, or you need an older version of Office.

Thanks

Ed

Tuesday, February 18, 2014 5:04 PM
  • Well this is getting funny - I just upgraded from office 2003 because it does not work correctly under windows 8.1.  this due to incompatibilities inherent in IE11.

So now the next question would be can you even do an upgrade to from Exchange 2003 to a newer version....Exchange 2013? on a 2003 Server?

Or do I also have to completely scrap my server?

Tuesday, February 18, 2014 5:13 PM
  • You can upgrade to Exchange 2010 from Exchange 2003, but not Exchange 2013.  To get to Exchange 2013, you have to upgrade to Exchange 2007 or Exchange 2010 first.

Tuesday, February 18, 2014 5:24 PM
  • Downgraded to Office 2007.

So now have a new Windows 8.1 laptop with outlook 2007 installed.

From what I have been told this should allow me to connect to the Exchange2003 server

I set up the pop account - works fine

set up the exchange account through Mail.exe and am unable to launch outlook.

"Microsoft Exchange is Unavailable"

"Retry - Work Offline - Cancel"

Then

"Cannot start Microsoft Office Outlook.  Cannot open the Outlook Window.  The set of folders cannot be opened.  The information store could not be opened."

The data file path is the same for both the pop account and the exchange account:

C:\Users\Scott\app data\local\microsoft\outlook\outlook.pst

How do I get this to work?

Help!

Wednesday, February 19, 2014 1:22 PM
  • Ok, I got this to work.  Not exactly sure of why this is happening.

After creating and authenticating the Exchange user account - I went into the Offline folder file settings on the Advanced Tab and manually renamed the Outlook.ost file to Mailbox.ost

After this change Outlook was able to open and I can now access the shared folders.

So for all the MS techs out there who are not listening - there is an issue with how the folders are set up by default which seems to be that they are both named the same by default and cannot be as I assume the file formats are different in some way?

Anyway found a workaround - should be a fix in the works for this i hope!

Wednesday, February 19, 2014 1:53 PM
  • The original question was "can outlook2013 be configured to interface with exchange2003 for shared folder access"

Answer: no

Explanation: Outlook2013 uses a different communications protocol and cannot interface with Exchange2003.

Workaround: DON'T BUY INTO THE MS PROPAGANDA AND GO WITH OFFICE 2007 INSTEAD.

Office 2007 is supported under Windows 8 and will connect to Exchange 2003.

• Marked as answer by pkarchitects Monday, March 3, 2014 3:11 PM
    Monday, March 3, 2014 3:11 PM