none
Cluster Upgrade-Migration

Question

• Hi Experts

We have 5 node hyper-v cluster on server 2012 (No R2). Now need to upgrade this cluster to 2016. VMs are on CSV. Please help me to get best option to minimize effort and down time.

Regards

Tuesday, February 21, 2017 1:52 PM

Answers

• Hi,

You can´t perform Cluster Operating system rolling updgrade from Windows server 2012 (non R2) operating system. It is scenario only for 2012R2 to 2016 clusters.

So what about to move all cluster resources to 3 nodes of your 2012 Hyper-V cluster. Cluster1

Rest 2 nodes evict from Cluster1.

Reinstall operating system to Win server 2016 (As inplace upgrade from previous version is not recommended)

Create Cluster2 on your Win Server 2016 servers

Than you can live migrate some of the resources from Cluster1 to Cluster2.

Evict another node from Cluster1, reinstall to 2016, add node to cluster 2

etc. etc. and at the end you will have only Cluster2

What do you think? Sounds like zero downtime to me.

Radek 

Tuesday, February 21, 2017 2:52 PM
  • you have a few option or different ways how to move to 2016.

Cross-Version Live Migration works as already mentioned but you need to have some spare storage anyway as you can not share the same Disk across the clusters.

if you have enough storage then 2nd option would be build new 2016 Cluster and do a Export, copy over and import VMs game. give you the option to have kind of fall back.

if you have working backup and more time for a downtime the 3rd option could be a reinstall Server 2016 on the Nodes, fresh install of course and after cluster creation map the LUNs again to the new 2016 Cluster and import VMs. takes longer downtime because of new installation at once but could also be fast one if planned well.

cheers

Udo

Tuesday, February 21, 2017 3:51 PM
  • Hi Radek

Thanks for prompt response. This 2012 to 2016 live migration looks good to me. According to your response, I understand that this live migration is fully supported.

Lets say we don't have sufficient space to create another CSV storage for 2016, what is the best option apart from Live Migration?

Regards

Hi,

yes it is fully supported to live migrate your VMs. Of course you can't migrate VMs with VHDX disks to Hyper-V on 2008 server. And as Hyper-V 2012 virtual machines are of version 5.0 - you can't migrate VMs from 2016 to 2012 once you run Update-VMVersion for your newly migrated VMs (you can't run version 8.0 VMs on Hyper-V 2012).

If you don´t have necessary CSVolumes for 2 clusters than another consideration could be to run some of your VMs on NON-CSV disks...maybe local disk or iSCSI LUN.. An recreate your CSV with 2016 Hyper-V cluster. But in that time your VMs wouldn't be highly available. :(

Anyway... you need additional disk space. Otherwise you have no way how to livemigrate your VMs out from the CSV on Cluster1.

Radek

Thursday, February 23, 2017 2:39 PM

All replies

• Hi,

You can´t perform Cluster Operating system rolling updgrade from Windows server 2012 (non R2) operating system. It is scenario only for 2012R2 to 2016 clusters.

So what about to move all cluster resources to 3 nodes of your 2012 Hyper-V cluster. Cluster1

Rest 2 nodes evict from Cluster1.

Reinstall operating system to Win server 2016 (As inplace upgrade from previous version is not recommended)

Create Cluster2 on your Win Server 2016 servers

Than you can live migrate some of the resources from Cluster1 to Cluster2.

Evict another node from Cluster1, reinstall to 2016, add node to cluster 2

etc. etc. and at the end you will have only Cluster2

What do you think? Sounds like zero downtime to me.

Radek 

Tuesday, February 21, 2017 2:52 PM
  • Hi Radek

Thanks for prompt response. This 2012 to 2016 live migration looks good to me. According to your response, I understand that this live migration is fully supported.

Lets say we don't have sufficient space to create another CSV storage for 2016, what is the best option apart from Live Migration?

Regards

Tuesday, February 21, 2017 3:05 PM
  • you have a few option or different ways how to move to 2016.

Cross-Version Live Migration works as already mentioned but you need to have some spare storage anyway as you can not share the same Disk across the clusters.

if you have enough storage then 2nd option would be build new 2016 Cluster and do a Export, copy over and import VMs game. give you the option to have kind of fall back.

if you have working backup and more time for a downtime the 3rd option could be a reinstall Server 2016 on the Nodes, fresh install of course and after cluster creation map the LUNs again to the new 2016 Cluster and import VMs. takes longer downtime because of new installation at once but could also be fast one if planned well.

cheers

Udo

Tuesday, February 21, 2017 3:51 PM
  • Thanks  Udo.

Just a question. Lets say we re-install 2016 on all servers after unmapping CSV/volume from 2012, do you think there will be any problem while re-mapping in 2016 and importing VMs? 

Regards

Tuesday, February 21, 2017 4:48 PM
  • Hi,

I suppose re-mapping would succeed.

If importing failed, you could build new VMs using the VHDs.

Best Regards,

Leo

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, February 22, 2017 7:29 AM
  • To follow up on Leo's suggestion, you could also automate the process. You could write a script that captures the configuration of each VM on the old system, and then its 'mirror' script that reads the configuration to build the new VM using the existing VHDs.  I would keep something like that as backup, because the remapping should be successful.

. : | : . : | : . tim

Wednesday, February 22, 2017 2:56 PM
  • Hi Radek

Regards

Hi,

yes it is fully supported to live migrate your VMs. Of course you can't migrate VMs with VHDX disks to Hyper-V on 2008 server. And as Hyper-V 2012 virtual machines are of version 5.0 - you can't migrate VMs from 2016 to 2012 once you run Update-VMVersion for your newly migrated VMs (you can't run version 8.0 VMs on Hyper-V 2012).

If you don´t have necessary CSVolumes for 2 clusters than another consideration could be to run some of your VMs on NON-CSV disks...maybe local disk or iSCSI LUN.. An recreate your CSV with 2016 Hyper-V cluster. But in that time your VMs wouldn't be highly available. :(

Anyway... you need additional disk space. Otherwise you have no way how to livemigrate your VMs out from the CSV on Cluster1.

Radek

Thursday, February 23, 2017 2:39 PM