Switching pdf opening from Edge for all users RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I try to change default opening pdf files from Edge to my PDF application on multiuser PCs for all users.

Even when I try do it throw Setting>System>Default Apps>Chose Default Apps by File Type it changing only for one current user. Is there is any way to switch pdf opening from Edge to my PDF Reader for all users?

Thanx in advance

Monday, October 3, 2016 4:50 PM

Answers

• I would suggest using Group Policy to simplify the process. 

Set your preferred PDF Reader as default, run this command:Dism.exe /online /Export-DefaultAppAssociations:C:\Windows\Temp\DefaultApps.xml 

Now remove every line you do not want to enforce as default, leave the default programs you want the user to have.

Then configure this Group Policy:

Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\File Explorer\

"Set a default associations configuration file". Then configure the path to the file (this can be stored in SYSVOL, alternatively you can copy the file locally with "Files" in Group Policy Preferences and then target the local directory.

• Marked as answer by alilbas Tuesday, October 4, 2016 2:39 PM
    Tuesday, October 4, 2016 9:07 AM

All replies

• See this post.  It references making IE default but the principal should apply to making another app the default PDF viewer

http://ccmexec.com/2015/09/making-ie-the-default-browser-in-windows-10-during-osd/

Monday, October 3, 2016 5:22 PM
  • I would suggest using Group Policy to simplify the process. 

Set your preferred PDF Reader as default, run this command:Dism.exe /online /Export-DefaultAppAssociations:C:\Windows\Temp\DefaultApps.xml 

Now remove every line you do not want to enforce as default, leave the default programs you want the user to have.

Then configure this Group Policy:

Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\File Explorer\

"Set a default associations configuration file". Then configure the path to the file (this can be stored in SYSVOL, alternatively you can copy the file locally with "Files" in Group Policy Preferences and then target the local directory.

• Marked as answer by alilbas Tuesday, October 4, 2016 2:39 PM
    Tuesday, October 4, 2016 9:07 AM
  • It doesn't works. :(
    Tuesday, October 4, 2016 2:38 PM
  • Thank you. It seems what I need.
    Tuesday, October 4, 2016 2:38 PM