locked
SCOM subscription for Exchange 2010 is not sending alert notifications RRS feed

  • Question

  • This is a very unique problem. We will shortly migrate to our OpsMgr 2012 management group, so I have both 2007 and 2012 environments running in parallel. In the past week we noticed that we are not receiving alert notifications for the Exchange 2010 subscription in either environment. The subscription criteria only stipulates the Exchange 2010 'Specific Classes' and 'Warning or Critical' Severity. All 81 other subscriptions are working correctly in both environments. I have followed the mp install and configuration instructions carefully. Alerts are being generated in the Microsoft 2010 view in Monitoring just fine. The subscription uses the same subscribers that the Exchange 2007 successfully uses. To make matters more confusing, I personally receive the Exchange 2010 notifications via my All Alerts subscription, but no subscribers receive alert notifications from the Exchange 2010 subscription; not even me when my alias is included.

    I have tried basing a new subscription on the Exchange 2010 All Server Computers group with no other criteria and I have tried using a different Channel, but those did not make any difference. I have reviewed other related topics, but none describe the behavior we are experiecing. What am I missing?


    • Edited by Robob-4022 Wednesday, April 10, 2013 8:34 PM typos
    Wednesday, April 10, 2013 8:19 PM

Answers

  • Yes they are and now this one is working as well.

    I just resolved this problem with MS support. Apparently, there is a feature/bug with subscriptions that sometimes prevents notifications from being sent if the subscription Criteria does not designate a Resolution State. Once I added New and Closed resolution states the notifications started working. It's just another day in the life of a SCOM admin I guess. Thank you for your willingness to help out Blake!

    • Marked as answer by Robob-4022 Thursday, April 11, 2013 11:10 PM
    Thursday, April 11, 2013 11:10 PM

All replies

  • Hmm.  I suspect you will have to include in that group the Root Management Server Class.  I am not certain, but I can check my sub.  Remember, in Exchange 2010, your alerting is controlled by the correlation engine which is normally hosted on the RMS or RMS Emulator.  All alerting, unless you created something yourself, is coming from the RMS (Correlation Engine host).

    Test it in a lab.  I think this is the case, and I say this, because I believe our ops team gets alerts from unhealthy agents not belonging to them, only because in their alert sub the RMS has to be included or  is included in the custom group I built.


    Regards, Blake Email: mengotto<at>hotmail.com Blog: http://discussitnow.wordpress.com/ If my response was helpful, please mark it as so, if it answered your question, then please also mark it accordingly. Thank you.

    Thursday, April 11, 2013 8:41 AM
  • Blake, you had a very good suggestion. I hadn't thought of that. The correlation engine is hosted on the RMS Emulator. To test your suggestion I tried a sub with only the following designated: (1) "...a Specific Group" containing "Microsoft Exchange 2010 All Server Computers" and "Operations Manager Root Management Server Emulator Computer Group," (2) "...a Specific Class" of  all the Exchange Server 2010 MP classes and the Root Management Server Emulator class. The subscriber is myself, it uses the standard channel, and it is enabled. None of the Exchange servers are in maint mode. I closed all the Exchange rule alerts and waited for them to regenerate. However, still no notifications.
    Thursday, April 11, 2013 6:23 PM
  • And the notification is working for everything else yes?

    Regards, Blake Email: mengotto<at>hotmail.com Blog: http://discussitnow.wordpress.com/ If my response was helpful, please mark it as so, if it answered your question, then please also mark it accordingly. Thank you.

    Thursday, April 11, 2013 8:50 PM
  • Yes they are and now this one is working as well.

    I just resolved this problem with MS support. Apparently, there is a feature/bug with subscriptions that sometimes prevents notifications from being sent if the subscription Criteria does not designate a Resolution State. Once I added New and Closed resolution states the notifications started working. It's just another day in the life of a SCOM admin I guess. Thank you for your willingness to help out Blake!

    • Marked as answer by Robob-4022 Thursday, April 11, 2013 11:10 PM
    Thursday, April 11, 2013 11:10 PM
  • Grats.  And yes, just another day in the life of a SCOM admin.

    Regards, Blake Email: mengotto<at>hotmail.com Blog: http://discussitnow.wordpress.com/ If my response was helpful, please mark it as so, if it answered your question, then please also mark it accordingly. Thank you.

    Friday, April 12, 2013 12:43 AM