none
Outlook 2016 with default Font Arial 10 has a display error with "Umlauts" ÄÖÜ (german letters)

Question

• Hello There,

maybe somebody can help us. We want to migrate from Office 2013 to Office 2016. As Default we use Arial 10 set via GPO Preferences as Font for new Mails etc.

(HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\xx.0\Common\MailSettings)

We have a strange Problem in here because if we have Zoom on 100%, the fourth Line the Ö doesn´t show the Dots - its shown as O:

ÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖ

ÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖ

ÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖ

OOOOOOOOOOO <-- Should be "Ö" .

ÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖ

If we Zoom in to 110% the dots are visible - funny thing! Outlook 2013 doesnt show this behavior.

Wednesday, April 20, 2016 3:21 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Really a strange issue. Does this issue continue if we change the default font to another one?

Does this issue happen to a certain client or multiple clients?

Are the dots visible if we zoom in/out to another percent?

I'd recommend you close Outlook, rename the NormalEmail.dotm file to NormalEmail.old, and then restart Outlook to see if this issue continues. If the issue continues, you can remove the new NormalEmail.dotm file and rename the NormalEmail.old back to NormalEmail.dotm to avoid losing custom settings in the template.

Regards,

Steve Fan
    TechNet Community Support

Please mark the reply as an answer if you find it is helpful.

If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.
    Thursday, April 21, 2016 9:15 AM
  • Hello Steve,

thanks for your answer. The issue only happens only on Arial with size 10, if i Change to Arial 11 or Calibri 10, it doesnt happen. It happens on all Clients with Office 2016 (about 250 in our Testing Environment), independent of Hardware, on Windows 7 and Windows 10.

If we zoom into 90% for example the Issue happens on Line 1,3,4,6,7,9,10 and more

If we zoom bigger than 100% all dots are shown correctly.

It only happens on big letters.

Renaming normal.email.dotm does not have any Effect. :(

Regards

Thursday, April 21, 2016 9:38 AM
  • Hello Afraskai

We have the same issue with Outlook 2016 on a Windows 10 Machine. We also deploy a standard font Arial 10pt via GPO.

This issue come only on this Machine. Sometimes ÄÖÜ works correctly and other times (irregular) ÖÄÜ is shown as OAU, but the small üöä are showing always correctly.

Could you solve this issue?

Kind Regards

Tuesday, July 5, 2016 10:36 AM
  • Hello Eivencito,

we could not solve the Problem yet - we wait till Microsoft will fix that.

For now we have about 5400 Office 2016 installations in our Environment, and everybody has that issue.

Our Workaround: Switch to 110% Zoom.

Regards

Florian

Tuesday, July 5, 2016 11:05 AM
  • Hey, the issue seems to be fixed! I have no Idea which patch did it, but it is resolved now.
    • Marked as answer by Afraskai Tuesday, April 25, 2017 2:24 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by Afraskai Wednesday, May 10, 2017 6:03 AM
    Tuesday, April 25, 2017 2:24 PM
  • My Outlook 2016 has exactly the same bug.

Same with underlines.

I have installed the current updates via Windows Update, but the issue still remains.

Version is:

Only Outlook has this problem, Word/Excel or any other Software is OK.

Any idea how to fix it?

Monday, May 8, 2017 4:02 PM
  • Indeed I can't reproduce it with umlauts ÖÄÜ, but still with underline _!

@Afraskai: can you please check if underlines are displayed correctly on your installations?

If zoom is set to 101% or above instead of 100%, it's displayed correctly. If it is set little below 100% (e.g. 97%), the problem with umlauts is back.

Tuesday, May 9, 2017 8:34 PM
  • Hi Cisab,

i can confirm, the Problem is back. I can reproduce it without underline, in here it starts in 4th Line with 100% Zoom.

Regards

Florian

Wednesday, May 10, 2017 6:05 AM
  • Hello Florian,

Did you switch the Zoom to 110% automatically or manually on the client?
    We have the same problem and I cannot find a GPO or RegKey to deploy the 110% zoom.

Wednesday, October 4, 2017 1:21 PM
  • Hello,

I had the same problem... or almost the same problem.
    On Outlook 2016 only on the 4th line I couldn't see the underscore and qy

Because I couldn't use a macro to set automagically the zoom in the mails I tryed with a workaround:
    Set the scaling of your screen to 101%.

Maybe it also work for you.

Cheers.

Wednesday, October 4, 2017 1:42 PM