none
Dumb Scheduling Question RRS feed

• Question

• Ok, 

Sorry for asking a dumb question but here goes.

I have a PM task that starts on project initiation and runs the length of the project. However, it's a part-time task as in 80 hours for the entire task. When I enter it with a resource it assigns 100% of his time and makes the task two weeks long. I need it to be several months long.

I've tried manually scheduling the task, auto scheduling, changing resource % and nothing gets me what I'm after.

I know there's an easy way to do this I'm just not finding it.

Thanks for any help.

Ed

Thursday, July 12, 2012 1:59 PM

Answers

• Hi Ed,

Not a dumb question by any measure.

1. Create the PM task and enter the estimated duration of your project.  
    2. Split your screen (View ribbon, check Details to see the Task Form in the lower pane). 
    3. Set the task type as Fixed Duration and click OK in the Task form.
    4. Select your PM resource from the Resource drop down in the Task Form and enter the 80 hours of work in the Work field in the task form.
    5. Click OK to assign the resource.
    6. View the Task Usage view and you'll see the 80 hours of work spread evenly across the duration of the task.
    7. You may wish to add "Peak" to the table (left side) to see the real units for the task in question.

I hope this helps.

Julie

Thursday, July 12, 2012 2:24 PM

All replies

• Hi Ed,

Not a dumb question by any measure.

1. Create the PM task and enter the estimated duration of your project.  
    2. Split your screen (View ribbon, check Details to see the Task Form in the lower pane). 
    3. Set the task type as Fixed Duration and click OK in the Task form.
    4. Select your PM resource from the Resource drop down in the Task Form and enter the 80 hours of work in the Work field in the task form.
    5. Click OK to assign the resource.
    6. View the Task Usage view and you'll see the 80 hours of work spread evenly across the duration of the task.
    7. You may wish to add "Peak" to the table (left side) to see the real units for the task in question.

I hope this helps.

Julie

Thursday, July 12, 2012 2:24 PM
  • Ed

For PM Tasks we will use a fixed duration task that has a duration slightly less than the overall Project duration (To obtain overall project duration Project->Project Information click on the Statistics Button)  this will keep the task from being critical.  Establish the task with duration first then assign the PM at 80 hours. 

Hope this helps

Thursday, July 12, 2012 2:26 PM