icon labels disappearing--how do i get them back? RRS feed

• Question

• hi there! labels are missing on icons, but not in all directories (though the problem seems to be spreading weekly). Windows Vista Ultimate.

i've scanned for viruses, restarted, tried system restore, switched repeatedly between view modes, and i've run SFC.

icons no labels

Tuesday, April 23, 2013 8:45 PM

Answers

• Hide File Names is only available as an option in the View context menu after Pictures and Videos has been chosen as a template for the containing folder - using 'Customize Folder'

Vista 32-bit Ultimate

Vista 32-bit Ultimate

After you have made sure that Hide File Names is unchecked you can change the template back to it's original state.

• Edited by mystifeid Tuesday, April 30, 2013 5:16 AM
    • Marked as answer by davidicus Thursday, May 2, 2013 10:45 PM
    Tuesday, April 30, 2013 5:10 AM
  • AHA!

i figured out that going to Customize This Folder and choosing Pictures and Video (and clicking OK), SEEMED to change or resort the folder (without bringing the labels back), but if i left it alone and went to Customize This Folder a second time, it obviously hadn't stuck. it will stick the second time through, and then Hide File Names shows up so i can uncheck it. perhaps because i had originally customized the sorting bar at the top of the pane?

at any rate: thanks so much!!

• Marked as answer by davidicus Thursday, May 2, 2013 10:46 PM
    • Edited by davidicus Thursday, May 2, 2013 10:47 PM
    Thursday, May 2, 2013 10:45 PM

All replies

• i can't be the only guy who has had this issue?!
    Friday, April 26, 2013 12:42 AM
  • Try the procedure on this page (under the heading 'Restoring Missing Icon Text')

http://www.ehow.com/how_6685611_fix-blank-vista-icons.html

Tuesday, April 30, 2013 12:28 AM
  • thanks! i was excited until i hit the "uncheck 'Hide File Names'" step and realized there was no such option. maybe because i'm using Vista? :/

for anyone else having trouble, here's the gist of it:

Restoring Missing Icon Text

• Navigate to the folder containing the blank icons, and then right-click on a blank area within the folder and select "Customize This Folder."

• Select the "Customize" tab. Choose "Pictures and Videos" from the drop-down menu near the top of the window. Click "Yes"

• Right-click on a blank area within the folder, select "View," and uncheck the item labeled "Hide File Names." The blank space below the icon is replaced with the file and folder names.

Read more: How to Fix Blank Vista Icons | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/how_6685611_fix-blank-vista-icons.html#ixzz2Ru8eaFuj

• Edited by davidicus Tuesday, April 30, 2013 1:13 AM
    Tuesday, April 30, 2013 1:12 AM
  • Hide File Names is only available as an option in the View context menu after Pictures and Videos has been chosen as a template for the containing folder - using 'Customize Folder'

Vista 32-bit Ultimate

Vista 32-bit Ultimate

After you have made sure that Hide File Names is unchecked you can change the template back to it's original state.

• Edited by mystifeid Tuesday, April 30, 2013 5:16 AM
    • Marked as answer by davidicus Thursday, May 2, 2013 10:45 PM
    Tuesday, April 30, 2013 5:10 AM
  • odd. i chose that template as instructed but i swear there is no such option in the context menu. 

Tuesday, April 30, 2013 5:25 AM
  • AHA!

i figured out that going to Customize This Folder and choosing Pictures and Video (and clicking OK), SEEMED to change or resort the folder (without bringing the labels back), but if i left it alone and went to Customize This Folder a second time, it obviously hadn't stuck. it will stick the second time through, and then Hide File Names shows up so i can uncheck it. perhaps because i had originally customized the sorting bar at the top of the pane?

at any rate: thanks so much!!

• Marked as answer by davidicus Thursday, May 2, 2013 10:46 PM
    • Edited by davidicus Thursday, May 2, 2013 10:47 PM
    Thursday, May 2, 2013 10:45 PM