none
DPM Online recovery point creation failed (error 3188)... RRS feed

  • Question

  • Hi everybody,

    I've installed DPM 2012 R2 version 4.2.1417.0 on a Windows 2012 R2 and both have all the latest and greatest patches.

    My "local" disk based backups appear to be working fine so I want to ensure that I've got offsite backups and started the process to add Online Protection.

    So, I...

    1. I created a backup vault in Azure installed the latest Azure backup agent (2.0.9028.0).
    2. I've enabled Online Protection for the Protection group and I'm trying to backup only 1 server to the Azure (for now).
    3. Waited for the Azure backups to start...

    Unfortunately, the Online recovery point creation always fails with the error 3188.

    In fact, the "Online recovery point creation" process has never worked so far (I've been trying several things from the forums over the past week, including a complete un-install and re-install of the Azure Backup agent and deletion and re-creation of the backup vault in Azure).

    Saddly, none of the solutions I tried from the forums fixed the problem.

    I see the following errors in "Event Viewer -> Applications and Services Logs -> DPM Alerts":

    • Creation of online recovery points for C:\ on servername.comapny.com have failed. The last online recovery point creation failed for the following reason: (ID: 3188). Operation failed. (ID: 120002)

    I see the following errors in "Event Viewer -> Application and Services Logs -> CloudBackup -> Operational":

    • The backup operation has completed with errors. (Event ID 11)

    I see the following errors in "Event Viewer -> Applications":

    Fault bucket 125526809917, type 5
    Event Name: DPMException
    Response: Not available
    Cab Id: 0

    Problem signature:
    P1: CBEngine
    P2: 2.0.9028.0
    P3: CBPJobFailure
    P4: Backup
    P5: 120002
    P6: -2147024773
    P7: -2147024773
    P8:
    P9:
    P10:

    Attached files:
    C:\Program Files\Microsoft Azure Recovery Services Agent\Temp\CBEngineCurr.errlog

    These files may be available here:
    C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportArchive\NonCritical_CBEngine_e45e2a12be9ea6f14aa7b37c73ca8312649056_00000000_0b579170

    Analysis symbol:
    Rechecking for solution: 0
    Report Id: 72a9ebd8-d4c4-11e5-80d0-00155d943433
    Report Status: 0
    Hashed bucket: 00aaa599d4cf734a25ad2a4e6774dce9

    Does anybody have any idea what might be happening?

    Thank you,

    Marc


    Tuesday, February 16, 2016 3:51 PM

All replies

  • Ok, so, I had to open a ticket with Microsoft and here's the root cause in my very specific case...

    Root cause (for my particular case):

    When the Azure Backup agent installed itself, it added a double backslash, i.e. "\\", in the "scratch” location path.

    So, when the Online Recovery jobs ran: they always failed miserably and generated the error 3188.

    Solution (for my particular case):

    1. Start the Registry Editor on the DPM server.
    2. Go to HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Azure Backup\Config\ location.
    3. Edit the “ScratchLocation” key data to remove the double backslashes in the path.
    4. Go to HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Azure Backup\Config\CloudBackupProvider location
    5. Modifiy the “ScratchLocation” key data to remove the double backslashes in the path (yes, that’s weird, it’s stored in 2 location).
    6. Close the Registry Editor.
    7. Reboot server.
    8. Once rebooted, log back into server, start DPM console, select an Online Recovery job that failed, right-click on it and select “Resume Azure backups”.
    9. Monitor the job by going to Monitoring -> All jobs in progress.
    10. After a couple minutes, if it works, you'll see the total data it has transfered so far to Azure.

    More Details...

    When troubleshooting this issue with Microsoft, the tech opened the "CBEngineCurr.errlog" file in "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Azure Recovery Services Agent\Temp" and looked for "Backup Progress".

    In each case, he would see a line that said "Starting" and the next one would say "Failed".

    However, upon closer inspection, a few lines above the "Starting" and "Failed" lines, there was a warning that the backup agent was not able to open the "scratch" location. The text of the warning included the path with the double backslashes... so that's how he found the root cause.

    I hope this helps someone, somewhere...

    Marc

    Thursday, February 18, 2016 7:17 PM
  • This was exactly my issue. Very odd that it puts that "\\" in there, mine was just before the 'Scratch' folder. Fixed in both places and all is well.

    Thanks again!

    Paul

    Thursday, March 3, 2016 7:47 PM